Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,671 Posts
Remove the horn button, remove the nut, then there's a sleeve or clamshell special tool that grabs the ridge on the hub.
Andrew

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,477 Posts
If it's like my '63 the hub has threaded holes that work with a standard steering wheel puller.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
If you use a standard puller be careful that it stays flat against the steering column as you begin screwing it down. If it slips to one side it can damage the threads and make getting the bolt back a dreadful task. BTDT

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Unscrew the nut that hold the wheel until it is flush with the end of the thread on the shaft then use the puller. This gives you a larger area to apply pressure and protects the threads as well.

Tapping the end of the puller when it is applying pressure will help loosen the wheel.

Stuck wheels often let go with a sharp bang - another reason to leave the nut on the top of the shaft.

Don't lose the woodruff key in all of the excitement.

Have a look on youtube, there must be a video somewhere that demonstrates the method.

Chris

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I purchased an Alfa Romeo steering wheel puller. I use a regular steering wheel puller for my Milanos, but that will not work with the 750/101 cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does the horn button just flick off with a screwdriver? had tried that but didnt seem to want to come off

·
Administrator
3,805 Posts
Rather use a scraper or putty knife to spread the load and not risk damaging the edges of the black horn ring by prying with a screwdriver.

The Factory special tool was a semicircular type putty knife designed to pop the black ring out without any damage

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I'll agree in principal with the two previous posts. However, I found that using the side of a putty knife gave me more purchase than using the scraper end. Beyond that, I also found that a hard plastic squeegee used for smoothing vinyl graphics worked best of all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts