Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm having a #$%^ of a time getting the steering wheel off on my spider 1750. It has the stock Personal wheel. I got the 27mm nut off, and the little metal key out, but the rest wont budge. Is there something I'm missing? I'm a bit scared to apply too much force for fear of breaking something. Does anyone have a photo log of this thye could share?

Thanks!
Jason

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm OK. guess I'll need to go find one. Where would the "prongs" attach to? I'm guessing the center deal hits the center of the wheel. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,847 Posts
Or you could use a steering wheel puller. I found this one on Amazon for $6.24.

You can also find these at chain auto parts stores. They come with huge, American threaded bolts, which won't fit your Alfa wheel. You will need to substitute a couple of long 6mm bolts, plus some flat washers to go under their heads.

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
Actually, what you need is the two bolt "steering wheel puller" that is usually under $20 at an auto parts store. Some may even loan you the tool. If you look at your wheel you'll see two threaded holes on either side of the hub right next to where you removed the large nut. The inexpensive pullers probably won't have that size bolt so you could buy a pair of bolts (I don't know the size offhand) that are long enough to use with the puller or just drill and tap those holes for a larger diameter bolt. That's what I always do since the factory holes often strip out anyway. A three-leg puller will just destroy your horn ring on this model Alfa. Do a search of "steering wheel puller" on the alfabb and you'll probably find some illustrations.

Edit: Once again, Jay beats me to the punch! Gotta learn to think or type faster.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Harmonic Balancer Puller

What I have found is that a harmonic balancer puller, 3 6mm x 4 in bolts, washers, and nuts will do the job very nicely. Search the board. That's where I found this method. Leave the 27mm nut on loosely when you pull the wheel. When it finally lets go it does tend to fly.

Drew

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yeah, leave the nut on and once you get some pressure on with the puller, you can tap the end on the puller screw with a hammer to see if it will break loose.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Solved this problem a few weeks ago. Tried the puller but I was worried about damaging the steering wheel. Ended up getting advice from a friend which worked perfectly. Put the nut on the shaft and sit in the drivers seat with your knees behind the wheel. While putting pressure behind the steering wheel, belt the nut with a steel mallet. I had to hit the nut a heap of times and just when I was thinking it wasn't going to work, the wheel just pooped off.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Used a generic steering whell puller also. Worked fine. Just substitute the correct metric size bolts. I'm also guessing 6 mm.

·
Super Moderator
11,847 Posts
Tried the puller but I was worried about damaging the steering wheel. Ended up getting advice from a friend which worked perfectly. Put the nut on the shaft and sit in the drivers seat with your knees behind the wheel. While putting pressure behind the steering wheel, belt the nut with a steel mallet. I had to hit the nut a heap of times and just when I was thinking it wasn't going to work, the wheel just pooped off.
Wow, that friend of yours is some kind of a genius!

You mentioned worrying about damaging the wheel - did you worry at all about damaging the steering box by hammering on the column? Or worry about damaging the nut & threads that secure your wheel to the shaft? Hope your steering box & column didn't take a poop as well.

Before whacking your steering column any more, you might want to read the thread at http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires/175568-cracked-burman-steering-box.html, which is where I found this photo:

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
Seen a lot of mushroomed steering wheel nuts from the hammer on the nut technique. The two bolt steering wheel puller is the only safe way to go. If it doesn't come off even with hitting the end of the puller whilst it's under tension leave it for a couple of hours under tension and come back and mushroom your puller. Having the puller on straight pulling equally on each side is also helpful if not necessary. good luck!

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yes, it's hard to do. But don't give up.

I used a puller from HarborFreight that looked like it would work and bought some long long tiny metric bolts that threaded into the steering wheel. There's a Alfa tool but you need luck to find somebody with one. Then each time it would get tightened the center bolt would get off center of the nut you loosen, but leave on, so as not to splay out the center shaft (hint). I just started all over again. But I was careful not damage anything and that just requires your common sense. It is frustrating, but spray some lube, keep working at it, don't get frustrated (that is, don't get frustrated) and it will eventually work off. If you tap on it be sure to use wood or plastic or something so as there is no metal on metal nut contact, but that's common sense.

Don't hit yourself in the face like I usually do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used the puller that Alfajay so kindly provided the picture of. I drilled and tapped new holes, as the old ones were all bent up and stripped from efforts by the PO. While it took fair bit of tension, if finally came off with a pop. Dr. G is right, it takes a bit of patience, but the puller works.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I struggled for almost three hours using a steering wheel puller with M6 bolts. The steering wheel refused to budge even with ample PB Blaster applied the night before. I was going to call it quits when the threads on the bolts began to strip. I strongly recommend going to Harbor Freight and purchasing an 8 inch, 3 claw puller (as noted above- loosen the steering wheel nut but do not remove from the center column or the column will flare). Put a 1/2 inch ratchet on the puller and even the most stubborn steering wheel will break away like butter. 5 minutes from start to finish

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
I use this one. :grin2:

Attachments

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Super Moderator
11,847 Posts
Ron.C: That's an ingenious combination of parts that most of us probably have lying around in the garage. But I am predicting that your cross bar (the piece that is copper colored in the photo below) will bend if the wheel is at all stuck. I would substitute something heavier, like a piece of channel iron.

·
Registered
33 Posts
does the little key have to be removed first before trying to pull steering wheel? been a while since I've done one

1 - 20 of 24 Posts