Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently repairing my turn signal switch, but need to remove the steering wheel to do so. Unfortunately, I don't have a maintenance manual.

Can anyone tell me what the proper procedure is? I'd hate to wreck my original steering wheel.

thanks all,

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Woody,

I think it may be prudent of me to ask what is wrong with your turn signal? Maybe its repairable without needing to pull it and the steering wheel.

But to pull the steering wheel is not too big a deal. You will need a steering wheel puller. You can pick one of those up at autozone for around $15. Also you will need hardened, long 6mm screws to use with the puller. I got mine from ACE Hardware. Here are the steps,

First, center the wheel with your wheels straight ahead. That way when you put it back you will know where it goes.

2. Remove the center cap
3. Bend back the lock tab that keeps you from putting a socket on the big nut.
4. Remove the big nut w/ appropriate socket

As you can see she is still on even with this nut off. Now you get your steering wheel puller out.

5. Place the center guide/bolt of the puller on the steering column.
6. pass the two long 6mm screws through the puller housing and screw them into the two holes on the steering wheel. One goes on each side.
7. Now rotate the center guide/bolt of the puller so as to move the puller housing away from the steering wheel.
8. As the puller puts tension on the wheel, she will pop off so keep a hand on the top of the wheel so it does not go shooting across the room.

The very important step in all of this is getting the appropriate, hardened, long 6mm screws that will fit the steering wheel. Last thing you want is to break one of those off in the steering wheel.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
turn signal

Thanks for the info...very much appreciated.

The turn signal is a pain. In the switch assembly, there is a plasic peg that serves as a pivot point for the switch arm. This has broken off at the base. I've used super glue to hold it in place. Then I can get the assembly back onto it, and the metal cover plate back on. I wanted to remove the steering wheel to avoid snapping the peg off again

In case this doesn't hold, I've got a used full switch assembly coming...which I'll need to remove the steering wheel for anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts