Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a tiny bit of play in the steering wheel, meaning I can pull it towards me and away from me a little. I was trying to figure out where in the steering column the issue was and I see that it is in that first shroud between the wheel and the signal stalks. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get in there! How do you disconnect the horn so you can take the cap off the horn, and how do you get that shroud off?
Additionally, when I took the "lower shroud" off, I saw this plastic ring that was very loose (see pic below). Any idea how to tighten this back up?

·
Registered
473 Posts
That plastic part is the turn signal canceling device, and it is normally loose. It is only too loose if your turn signals don't cancel.
If you have axial play in the steering column, it is PROBABLY caused by something in the other end of the steering, unless the nut holding the wheel onto the column splines is loose.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how would I go about getting to the nut that holds the wheel onto the column so I can check? How to I remove the horn button to get to that?

·
Administrator
16,767 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Given the trouble people generally have getting the steering wheel off the splines, I too suspect there’s no slippage there. I’d first look at what Tom suggested: look first at what is happening at the base of the steering column, near the floor, where there’s a splined U-joint Which could be loose. It’s more likely the play you’re experiencing is coming from there.
(edit: bit late to the party...)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man-- you all were absolutely right. I went back in the car, took off the horn and saw that there was no play at the nut. So then I went down and felt and in the first "knuckle", right before it goes into that metal shaft, there is a little play. So I think I just need to snug up a nut in there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL! Well played. I tightened up that top knuckle and no more play in the steering wheel. Thanks so much everyone!

·
Registered
92 Posts
You should leave that play in there! Look at all the press Lewis Hamilton is getting with his steering wheel moving in and out! You could just say that Alfa was way ahead of its time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts