Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody !

I've finally found the origin of the play in my steering wheel: the steering wheel itself ! In fact the steering wheel is able to turn a bit on the column shaft. Previous owner fitted an aftermarket steering wheel with an aftermarket hub. I've found that the key on the column shaft is smaller than the keyed part of the hub. Is that normal ? What should I expect if I order a hub from Alfa supplier, a tight fit on the key as original ? Here is the pictures (pictures speak English better than me) :

P1020125p.jpg
P1020126p.jpg
P1020127p.jpg

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi,

I don't know what you should order, but as far as I remember, in my 88 spider the keyed part of the hub is in the same size as the key. so it fits with no play.
I hope I helped.
Saar.

·
Registered
816 Posts
This isn't normal, but I've seen it before in some after market hubs. I don't see why you can't get a stepped key that will take up the extra space. The hub is a tapered fit onto the steering column, so the key is only part of what holds the steering wheel from turning. The tapered parts jamb together to a very tight fit when the nut is tightened properly, preventing the hub from rotating on the shaft. Drill presses and Bridgeports use a similar tapered system without a key and Alfa 4 cam V-6s don't use any key in the cam drive.
KG

·
Super Moderator
11,336 Posts
Previous owner fitted an aftermarket steering wheel with an aftermarket hub. I've found that the key on the column shaft is smaller than the keyed part of the hub. Is that normal ?
No, that is not normal. It sounds a bit dangerous to me - something should be changed to eliminate this play.

What should I expect if I order a hub from Alfa supplier, a tight fit on the key as original ?
You should expect the width of the keyway in the hub to match the width of the keyway in the steering column, and the stock Alfa key to fit tightly in both. That aftermarket hub the PO fit is simply incorrect for an Alfa.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I installed an original steering wheel and hub I had for now. I will work on that before reinstalling the aftermarket steering wheel.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I suspect that it's the slot rather than the key; I'd speculate that the wheel came with a wider slot and the original key was used. If you're going to try another original Alfa key, I'd give Alfa Parts Exchange (APE) a call and get a used one. It'll be cheaper than a new one for the experiment.

Then, if the slot in the wheel turns out to be the problem, you might be able to take the newly acquired used key to a welder and have him build it up a bit and then file it down to be an exact fit in your wheel slot.

That would be cleaner than trying to build up the slot in the wheel adaptor, and cheaper than having a new key custom made.

I'm not much of a believer in 'shimming' the key without actually building it up.

FWIW.

Lokki

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
A bit of keystock from the local hardware store in the size for the bigger slot and some quiet time with a vice and file should produce a good stepped key w/o having to bother a welder.

Or if you wanted to get really tedious and the wheel to hub mount pattern would allow for it, you could take the hub to a machine shop and have a new key slot in the proper width broached through it in another location. ($$)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts