Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys how can I remove or disengage the steering wheel lock mechanism on my Berlina. It's a roller without battery and the key doesn't turn, but I need to move the car around and want to unlock it....please share instructions how to remove it.

·
Premium Member
21,706 Posts
Wiggling the steering wheel back and forth, perhaps firmly, doesn't do it? You have the key or not?
Otherwise, remove the steering wheel and the two "clamshell" halves around the steering column. Loosen the two 17mm nuts, and one 13mm nut, under the dash, that hold the column to the body. Doesn't have to come out, but loose can help.
Find the security bolt (usually a round head but sometimes replaced with a hex head), and remove it somehow with a wrench, chisel, cut a screwdriver slot in it, etc. Once it's out you can pull the ignition switch assembly out.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Use lots of wd40 or something in the lock first... usually it will then work.
alternatively, check the key. Is it worn? Have a new one cut.

You do not have to drop the collumn. The break off key that holds the lock is not very tight. Wd40 or pentrating oil, long screwdriver, you'll get it...

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
As a almost last resort try injecting some of your evaporust into the switch. That may free it up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine was really stuck...tried with the cheapy puller from the two nuts on top and bent it. I had to buy three three leg puller. Filed the ends to fit and even then it took a bunch of force till it poped.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts