Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a wood steering wheel in my '87 Spider. I love the look and feel of the wheel, but have noticed more road feel - a good thing - but also more kick-back going over un-even pavement or bumps than I noticed with the stock steering wheel. I'm assuming the better road feel is a benefit of less play going from the flexible stock wheel. However, the kick-back seems to be coming from another source. There seems to be some up and down movement in the wheel (yes, the wheel is tight - there is no movement in & out). Is there a bushing in the steering column that could have too much play? If so, is this a major pain to replace? What's involved? Any idea of the amount of time to replace it at a knowledgeable shop (not me) if it is a bearing?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
check the steering box, they have a habit of loostening their bolts and jumping around.
have someone rock the wheel while you feel the steering box for movement.
cliff

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion, but that would have been too easy - to just tighten some bolts. There was no movement in the steering box area. It really seems to be coming from the steering column. So, back to my original question: Are there bushings in there and if so, is it a major job to replace it/them?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts