Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa 2600 Spider, Alfa 1750 GTV, Spider Duetto 1600
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am new on this forum, but I have had numerous GTV's.
Now I have bought a 1750 GTV USA type. It had a leather Momo steering wheel, which I want to change for an original one. They told me for my series 1, it had to be a wooden Hellebore with a black centre instead of a wooden centre.
When I tried to mount this steering wheel I ended up with a gap between the wheel and the hard plastic housing (see attached pic).
Can anyone tell what is wrong.
Is it the wrong steering wheel?
If so, which wheel is the right one?
How can I solve it? Put on a EU hard plastic housing around starter contact/steering?
Hope to get the right answer soon.
Regards Pieter from Holland

Attachments

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hi. You might loosen the 2 bolts on the aluminum column support bracket to see if it can be moved to close gap.

Ken

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
Hi. You might loosen the 2 bolts on the aluminum column support bracket to see if it can be moved to close gap.
There is some play in the hardware that secures the aluminum column support bracket to the body. But there isn't enough play to close a gap that large.

pjotr said:
How can I solve it? Put on a EU hard plastic housing around starter contact/steering?
Sorry, I didn't understand what a "EU hard plastic housing around starter contact" is. Do you mean a different steering column shroud that extends back farther? Yea, maybe.

Honestly, I can't figure out what would cause that large a gap between the wheel and the shroud. Perhaps an incorrect (e.g., longer) steering column was installed by a previous owner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is some play in the hardware that secures the aluminum column support bracket to the body. But there isn't enough play to close a gap that large.

Sorry, I didn't understand what a "EU hard plastic housing around starter contact" is. Do you mean a different steering column shroud that extends back farther? Yea, maybe.

Honestly, I can't figure out what would cause that large a gap between the wheel and the shroud. Perhaps an incorrect (e.g., longer) steering column was installed by a previous owner.
Yes I ment the steering column shroud and I found one in England which comes more forward than the one mounted. Could see it by the distance between the signal lever gap and the front of the shroud. I think that should do it. Agreed?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yes I ment the steering column shroud and I found one in England which comes more forward than the one mounted. Could see it by the distance between the signal lever gap and the front of the shroud. I think that should do it. Agreed?
There are 2 lengths of shrouds that I know of. The long is generally earlier and is used on the long steering columns with a long aluminum shaft support bracket. The short is usually found with the later deep dish steering wheels that had a short steering shaft and short Alu support bracket.

The shrouds are not interchangeable to attach properly.

I agree with Jay. That gap looks too big to adjust out with bracket movement but try it.

Ken

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Was there a gap there with the Mono wheel? Can you send a picture of the Mono installed. Also send a photo of the wheel you are trying to install.

As Jay said maybe a previous owner replaced a short shaft with a long shaft steering box. If so you need a long support and shroud to close the gap.

But you will lose some arm space with long shaft and deep dish wheel. Maybe that is why there was a flat or shallow Mono there.

Ken

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Heres 2 photos to help you determine which Steering column support you have. The 186 mm and 218 mm measurements are the distance between the shroud mounting holes.

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Pjotr, visited here and see you have not yet update your findings and solution. Can you please do so. This BB is give and take type of place.

stay well

ken

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Question for Pjotr is yours a S1 or S2? I think S1 came with black plastic wheel, S2 may have had a plastic wood look wheel?

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
315 Posts
My S1 (real) wood wheel came with a VG Helebore inscription and black centre. I also have a wood centre but suspect that was added later. I found this useful

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
My '67 GTV has the first series 1750 wheel mounted by me when I restored it the last time. Black center and small "dish" to spokes. Later ones and all USA 1750 models have the deeper "dish" and different shroud length.
You should be able to find one like this from a Euro supplier.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Posters here and elsewhere are mentioning the plastic and wood centre caps for the shallow dish Hellebore in a way that may give the impression that it suits a particular wheel design. Those 2 caps and the Berlina cap with the aluminum ring encasing faux wood and maybe others all interchange physically to that Hellebore. Which one came on a car from the factory and is correct needs to be determined.

Ken

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Center cap type has no bearing on if the wheel will fit correctly on a given car. the more important part is if the car was pre or post the requirement for a collapsing wheel/column that came about in 1969 for USA models and perhaps Euro too. '68 and older did not have the shorter column and VERY deep dish wheel.
As usual with Alfa, hard to tell when changes were fully implemented.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Center cap type has no bearing on if the wheel will fit correctly on a given car. the more important part is if the car was pre or post the requirement for a collapsing wheel/column that came about in 1969 for USA models and perhaps Euro too. '68 and older did not have the shorter column and VERY deep dish wheel.
As usual with Alfa, hard to tell when changes were fully implemented.
"Center cap type has no bearing on if the wheel will fit correctly on a given car." I agree

"the more important part is if the car was pre or post the requirement for a collapsing wheel/column" Not sure what you are saying here. Collapsing wheel meaning deep dish, collapsing column?? you mean the U-Joint??

I think that if the car is still as it came from the factory and no one has mismatched parts or if they have had to replace a steering column/box that it was done with all long parts or all short parts then any Alfa factory 105/115 wheel will fit. Maybe you will need adjust the gap by moving the Alu support. See my next post here.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Copied from my post in another thread but parts are relevant here I think.
==================================================

First let me say I am only talking about Shrouds for RHD and LHD 1750s and 2000 in all 3 bodies. Ignition on right.

I have just spent some time going through parts books for 1750 Euro and USA and 2000 Euro and USA all 3 bodies. For all these variations there are basicly only 2 shrouds. A long and a short. To suit only 2 Aluminum column supports including the support for the u-jointed steering boxes.

The long is for 1750 All World LHD and RHD except USA. All bodies.

The short is for 1750 USA and All World LHD and RHD 2000. All Bodies and 1600 GTj. A differing bottom is used on some 1750 short where there is a need for a pod for a control knob.

In passing the parts books show shallow dish steering wheel for 1750 All World except USA and deep dish steering wheel for 1750 USA and all 2000. All bodies. And 1600 GTj

So this is how they are said to have come from the factory. If steering boxes and associated parts have been substituted "incorrectly" then all bets are off.

Other bodies such as the later Supers and some later 1300 Juniors may use the same parts, I don't know exactly. Some Supers have similar parts but ignition switch is on left. The earlier 1600 GTs (and Duettos??) differ in part because there is no ignition switch and lock on the column but I think the lengths are the long type so that a long box with a lock could be used on the earlier but not visa vera. There are more LHD vs RHD differences in shrouds and Alu supports.

Stay well out there

Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts