Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local chapter friend took 66 duetto to shop yesterday to put original steering wheel back on to replace BWA after market so car is better for concourse. After removing BWA, shop says steering rod is 5/8" too short for original, who might have knowledge of this problem, alfisti is a bit frantic with upcoming convention. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Well as you know, we can't advise on anything without pictures....;^)
Is the wheel hitting the plastic shroud ?
Have to determine what has been changed to accomodate the BWA wheel.
Hopefully not the steering box

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply, but not my duetto and BWA back in place so he could take home, anyone else??? Thought maybe someone had had this same problem

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Thanks for reply, but not my duetto and BWA back in place so he could take home, anyone else??? Thought maybe someone had had this same problem
Jerry

I have the same problem with my roundtail using the original wheel with the horn assembly. Pretty sure the steering box and shaft have been replaced with shorter assembly. Apparently there are 2 lengths--one for deep dish wheel and one for shallow dish wheel. Maybe deep dish wheel is more common in the usa? I'm running my original wheel minus the horn assembly--course now theres a gap between wheel and shroud and no honk honk.

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
flivesay said:
Pretty sure the steering box and shaft have been replaced with shorter assembly. Apparently there are 2 lengths--one for deep dish wheel and one for shallow dish wheel. Maybe deep dish wheel is more common in the usa?
Later spiders had the dished wheels. So yea, the shorter columns would be more common simply because the spiders with the dished wheels were sold for more years. Otherwise the steering boxes are interchangable. Perhaps your friend's original Duetto box broke at some point in the car's life, and a box-column out of a 70's spider was substituted.

But, as 101/105guy said, without pictures we are just speculating.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you guys, speculation over the weekend is better than nothin at all ..

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
I ran into this problem when I replaced the broken steering box on my '67 Duetto a couple years back. I don't remember what the box came from but it was a bit shorter than the original. I spent a couple of days swapping out clamshells, column brackets and different wheels trying to figure out what would work. I wound up sanding off about 3/16" of plastic from the back of the horn ring circumference in order to fit the original steering wheel without binding against the clamshell. Sacrilege, I know, but I wanted to drive the car. Your friend may want to try to aquire the horn ring from a Duetto, GT Sprint or Super to experiment with. Of course, this won't work if the column itself is too short for the wheel to fit on even without the clamshell.

Another possibility may be that somewhere along the way a different clamshell was fitted to the column when the BWA wheel was installed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well as you know, we can't advise on anything without pictures....;^)
Is the wheel hitting the plastic shroud ?
Have to determine what has been changed to accomodate the BWA wheel.
Hopefully not the steering box
I'm the guy trying to install an original '67 Duetto steering wheel on to my '66 Duetto. The wheel is hitting the black plastic shroud. When the BWA hub adapter was removed and the original wheel was placed on the steering box shaft, the shaft was aproximately 5/8 of an inch too short. The retaining nut could not be attached as the threads on the shaft did not come above the opening in the steering wheel. I'm sorry I do not have any pictures, as the BWA wheel is back on the steering column.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Yes, I'll bet if you remove the horn assembly the wheel will fit on the column. Then you can measure the distance from the back of the wheel to the clamshell and get an idea of how much would need to be removed from the horn assembly. As I said, mine was more like 3/16" not 5/8" but I'm not sure if mine was from a later Spider, GTV or what. If you're doing this for concourse purposes though, your best bet would be to locate the correct steering box and column. I do have the original column from my broken box that I can measure so you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for.

Edit: just a note to add that I recall the horn assembly having a somewhat tricky snap ring that took several minutes to find after it launched itself under the workbench.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, I'll bet if you remove the horn assembly the wheel will fit on the column. Then you can measure the distance from the back of the wheel to the clamshell and get an idea of how much would need to be removed from the horn assembly. As I said, mine was more like 3/16" not 5/8" but I'm not sure if mine was from a later Spider, GTV or what. If you're doing this for concourse purposes though, your best bet would be to locate the correct steering box and column. I do have the original column from my broken box that I can measure so you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for.

Edit: just a note to add that I recall the horn assembly having a somewhat tricky snap ring that took several minutes to find after it launched itself under the workbench.
Thanks Bill for your message. My original steering wheel has the three aluminum spokes with the horn buttons in each spoke. Do you mean I should dismantle that whole apparatus? The horn assembly you are referring to which has the snap ring is the type I presently have on the BWA steering wheel. If I were to remove the horn assembly, the steering wheel might fit on the steering box shaft, but then I would have no way of installing a horn. Any other ideas? Thanks.
Bob Simonds

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
what i did is remove the horn and use the wheel. I think the only correct fix if you want to have the original wheel with horn assembly is to put the correct column and box in or --grind the plastic spacer on the horn. i'm waiting on a good column to fall in my lap along with the time to change it out. as is i can jump in it anytime and go. i miss the horn--i've thrown water bottles at suvs----

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Okay.. So for me and those who follow and any avoidance of doubt.
Is what were saying here..

Early '66 Duetto's with the 3 alum spoke, black rimmed, lightly dished wheel have a longer steering column than the later type spiders with the deeper dished steering wheels ??

I only ask this as i have a perfect 3 alum spoke, wooden rimmed, deep dish steering wheel (personal) out of a Bertie, I was go thinking about putting in my '66 Duetto.....

(Anybody want it.. Brisbane)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Okay.. So for me and those who follow and any avoidance of doubt.
Is what were saying here..

Early '66 Duetto's with the 3 alum spoke, black rimmed, lightly dished wheel have a longer steering column than the later type spiders with the deeper dished steering wheels ??

I only ask this as i have a perfect 3 alum spoke, wooden rimmed, deep dish steering wheel (personal) out of a Bertie, I was go thinking about putting in my '66 Duetto.....

(Anybody want it.. Brisbane)
thats my understanding--what evidence i have seen and heard seems to supports that understanding. But--I haven't laid 'em out side by side and measured a deep dish wheel column against a shallow dish wheel column.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thats my understanding--what evidence i have seen and heard seems to supports that understanding. But--I haven't laid 'em out side by side and measured a deep dish wheel column against a shallow dish wheel column.
Thanks to everyone who sent messages relating to my concern over installing an original Duetto wheel on my '66 Alfa. By removing the horn assembly, the wheel will fit on the steering column shaft allowing the retaining nut to be attached to the shaft. Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts