Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'91 164L 3.0 V6 12V 5-speed, ‘92 164 2.0TS 5-speed
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm playing with an idea of replacing my steering rack. I have one problem with it that I really can't understand entirely. I swapped a new pressure hose from pump to rack and a new pump but the issue persists. The problem is that when I turn right on halt or slow speed it works just fine. If I turn to left, the power assist isn't continuous but it has "flat spots" here and there and this is why it's pretty annoying as I can't determine how much effort to put into turning the wheel. It's probably the rotation valve or those stupid teflon rings on the shaft that are leaking and I don't see myself changing those anytime soon.

But the question is, as both the S rack and the L rack seem to fit to my L, which would you prefer? Does the dampening improve anything or does it make things worse? I'm asking because there are refurbished racks of both available at the same price so I'm free to choose.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,645 Posts
I'm not saying this is definitely your problem, but if you have the brown round ZF reservoir it has an integrated filter in it. I've seen that get plugged and mess up the steering because the pump can't suck fluid.

New reservoirs are available and are not crazy expensive. You should replace it anyway if you're replacing the rack, so maybe just try that first.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'm playing with an idea of replacing my steering rack. I have one problem with it that I really can't understand entirely. I swapped a new pressure hose from pump to rack and a new pump but the issue persists. The problem is that when I turn right on halt or slow speed it works just fine. If I turn to left, the power assist isn't continuous but it has "flat spots" here and there and this is why it's pretty annoying as I can't determine how much effort to put into turning the wheel. It's probably the rotation valve or those stupid teflon rings on the shaft that are leaking and I don't see myself changing those anytime soon.

But the question is, as both the S rack and the L rack seem to fit to my L, which would you prefer? Does the dampening improve anything or does it make things worse? I'm asking because there are refurbished racks of both available at the same price so I'm free to choose.
Sorry I can't help with the rack choice. Personally I would want to keep the same as what came with my car when new.

·
Registered
'91 164L 3.0 V6 12V 5-speed, ‘92 164 2.0TS 5-speed
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not saying this is definitely your problem, but if you have the brown round ZF reservoir it has an integrated filter in it. I've seen that get plugged and mess up the steering because the pump can't suck fluid.
Good point. I‘d say my reservoir is more black than brown, but ZF nevertheless. I’ll have to take a look at that, although you would think that blocked filter would affect the power deliver for both sides. And these flat spots aren’t as violent as they would be if, say, the fluid level was insufficient.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
My 'S' came with the dampener on the rack. It's supposed to help with preventing torque steer. Now that the rack has been rebuilt twice, the dampener seems less effective somehow; I'm not sure why. It's not that big of a deal either way. I'd probably stay with the original type set up the car came with.

Mark

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,645 Posts
I missed the bit about it only being one direction. Filter probably isn’t your problem then.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I changed my reservoir for an identical new ZF unit for a Jaguar. Didn't notice any difference though seemed a useful thing to do as managed to junk half the old fluid and dilute it with fresh, as well as having a fresh filter.
The steering damper settings are adjustable. Mine got a bit 'tightened' when a garage changed the big rubber boot. Had planned to take it back to get it reduced a bit but never got round to it and used to it now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts