Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to rebuild steering rack for 91L. Are seals and 0rings common parts? Jorgens is out business.
I contacted ASL but they wouldn't have a kit available until July.

Is there a best way to go about this, besides have someone else do it for me?

I do want to do this myself.

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
Seal kits can be sometimes found on the internet and ebay.

Probably not something usually done at home but here is how I rebuild and test the 164 rack:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
On a similar topic, am looking for a seal kit to rebuild a 164 3.0 24v power steering pump. Can't find anything listed for a 164 but certain Porsche 924/944/911 kits, along with some BMW E34/E36 kits seem to be compatible. Anyone explored this?

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
On a similar topic, am looking for a seal kit to rebuild a 164 3.0 24v power steering pump. Can't find anything listed for a 164 but certain Porsche 924/944/911 kits, along with some BMW E34/E36 kits seem to be compatible. Anyone explored this?
Search in this 164 forum for p/s kit for BMW.

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
Thanks Steve,

Not available till July to August.

Appreciated though
Go for it. I just ordered one for a spare as my spares are running low.

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
36 Posts
In regard to powersteer pump kits for the 164, there is a difference in the size of the front shaft seal. Multi rib (serpentine belt) single belt drive have a larger front seal and shaft, opposed to the V belt driven ZF pumps.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
They do? Even on the series 2 164s? All the pumps are ZF as far as I know and none of the kit listings I've seen for them show different kits for different models. The kit I have looks perfect for the spare 164 twinspark pump I stripped down, front seal included. Are you thinking of Mapco pumps?

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
36 Posts
Maybe Richard, be good if someone could confirm.
I did my pump recently, got a kit that supposedly fitted my pump. It was the only one listed for all 164 Alfa. All bits okay apart from the front seal. Supplied seal was smaller dimensions. My original larger. Attached picture of my original seal, if you know where to get one of these PM me. Also pump info attached.
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hi Matt,
thanks for the reply and that is really concerning. Looks like the best option could be to try and source a seal separately.
Any chance you could post all the numbers/data written on the seal itself? Can't quite read it all from the pic.
Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Matt, if I've read the seal number correctly, ZF 0770 080 326, there seems to be a Mercedes W124,W202,S202,C124 part that matches: Corteco 01020304B. Must be other brand options where you are too and some complete seal kits for these, including the front seal, seem cheaper than buying just the seal itself.
Quoted size is 19.05mm inner diameter, 33.33mm outer and 8mm thick.
What do you think?
BTW, was yours leaking? Mine isn't, just seems to have a lot of play in the shaft - in/out.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hi again.
Have checked the seal in my kit and it looks the right size. What is the shaft diameter where the seal sits on yours? On the ZF twinspark unit I have stripped it is 19.2mm. Maybe your kit had the wrong seal supplied by mistake?

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
36 Posts
G'day Richard
Yes my seal size is 19.05 x 33.33 x 7.93, ZF 0770 080 326. Made by STEFA . Went back to the supplier of kit when i discovered the difference. They could not supply from numbers supplied above
Pump was leaking from the body only, front seal was dry as, no sign of weapage. Had to reuse it as time was against me, seal was soft and had nice tension on the shaft. Felt okay in this, will address it when i overhaul the rack in the distant future. At present, pump is staying dry, no leak.
Will get another pump kit before then.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
36 Posts
Richard, where did you get your pump kit from, be keen to get one for my stock.
Thank you for your replies too (y) , greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,098 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts