Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. I understand you can remove the rack from the passanger side by jacking the engine up an inch or so. So is there enough vertical play without damage, in the drive shaft and exhausts to unbolt the engine mounts and jack up an 1 nch or 2 without actually disconnecting them?

·
Registered
538 Posts
On the 4 cylinder car, you only need to raise the engine 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I do not loosen anything.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just curious but are you sure your rack is bad and not the steering knuckle/joint?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I forgot to mention that I always take the rack out on the driver's side.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had a heck of a time removing mine through the drivers side. I brought the engine up as far as I could but the splined output stub still would not clear. I ended up notching the opening a little bit which I welded up later. Try not to do what I did.

All is well now and the new tie rods result in a much improved ride.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious but are you sure your rack is bad and not the steering knuckle/joint?

Nothing wrong with the rack, Im swapping it out for a Milano power rack. its easiest I undersatand to remove it from the left side of the car, or passanger side in a Euro model anyway. GTV6 not 4 cylinder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts