Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if there is a kit available or a company to rebuild the rack and pinion assembly in my 1991 L with a 5 speed. Or may be someone has a "NON LEAKING UNIT " for sale
THANKS

·
Premium Member
403 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have used Jorgen for my business. In the last 4 years we have purchased 7 Milano racks, 2 BMW racks, and 1 164S rack. We only had only one problem with a Milano rack and they promptly sent a replacement out. They have always been slow to get your core money back, but otherwise they are an excellent company to deal with.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
My rack seems okay, should I replace it though before the engine goes back in? I know its a PITA to do with the engine in. Also, assuming the engine is out, where do your start my disconnecting this thing? What exactly is replace with the new racks?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My rack seems okay, should I replace it though before the engine goes back in? I know its a PITA to do with the engine in. Also, assuming the engine is out, where do your start my disconnecting this thing? What exactly is replace with the new racks?
Inspect the two rubber boots at the inner tie rods to see whether there is any leak. Look inside even if the outside look good. This is where most steering rack leaks. Check the steering rack mount rubber bushings - pentagon shape at the driver side and a round one at the passenger side. If the steering rack is good, I would break loose the 4 mounting bolts at the two mounts and reassemble them with anti-seize. The bolts can be difficult to remove with the engine in place especially if there's corrosion - it might not be a problem in CA but could be really a PITA for cars in snow area.

To take the rack out, you need to detach the two outer tie rod (either at the ball joints or the tie rod length adjustments). You also need to disconnect the bottom of the steering column from the rack inside the car. Finally the fluid hoses.

---------------
Edit/addition:
Also check the ball joints of the inner tie rods. It is much easier to replace the inner tie rod(s) without the engine being there, right Mr. T :)?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Thanks, Bob!

Here is an email I got back from Jorgenauto:

"We could build this unit for you. There is a core deposit of $125.00. We send you a tag to send the core back to us. Shipping would be approx. $25.00 and cover return of the core. Yes, the rack does come with the inner tie rods and the boots. Please call 1-800-333-0600 if you would like to order this unit. Thank you for your inquiry. Jorgen Automotive Corporation"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts