Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, was wondering if anyone could shed light on whether all the steering racks are the same between the L, S and LS? I have a 92L Automatic, it’s time for a new rack and was curious if there is Anything I need to know to choose the best one available.

·
Premium Member
26,912 Posts
The 164L with A/T rack has different turn radius to right because of ZF A/T sticking out into left wheel well. Your 92L will have rack with steering damper centering spring like S/Q/LS though.

·
Premium Member
9,767 Posts
You could use whatever you want in reality but must remember if you have an Auto not to jam the wheel into the trans. Best to get an Auto rack but if I remember correctly I can set up a manual rack to the specs of an auto.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
... it’s time for a new rack and was curious if there is Anything I need to know to choose the best one available.
Why is it time for a new rack? The rack on my 164 started leaking only 2 years after it was rebuilt here in Atlanta -the first time. It managed to run 7 more years on a bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. Just last year, Jason had it re-rebuilt for me and it honestly feels much better and more secure when driving. Not cheap but I recommend sending it to Alfissimo; once you have tried Stop Leak by Lucas.

There are rebuilt 164 racks on eBay but who knows about them...

Mark

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All, and thank you for your feedback. Much valued and truly appreciated.

Well, for some reason, the left boot on the rack popped off and hemmoraged fluid. I figured I’d fix it now for a couple of reasons. 1. Stop leak aint gonna fix that. 2. Can’t run it like that, as it will destroy the PS pump. I think the PS pump is ok. Trying to avoid replacing the PS pump. I caught it as soon as I started the car after that -15F blast we had last week.
Noticed fluid and it must’ve happened then, because i saw no leakage before that.

So, based on all the great feedback from Steve and Jason, the way forward is to find an auto rack. I think I’m gonna have to send this one out for a rebuild. Now, where to send it?

Again, thank you guys for the help.

Rob

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got an NOS rack out of Italy for $330 USD, problem solved

Installed it over the summer, put new BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport Radials mounted on ‘S’ style (meatgrinder wheels) refinished, had it aligned. Got the newly rebuilt KONI sports on it, and the car drives showroom fresh. Loving it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts