Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Tried changing the big steering rack gaitor on my 1995 164, the gaitor with two holes on the outer face and one big one on the inner.

The top nut has a hex key fixing inside it. When trying to undo it with just a spanner the whole top of the assembly moved a bit but nothing more.

I have no idea what is behind the gaitor. Any info greatfully received.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
In case you guys don't know ( I didn't till Wheeler Dealers) a gaitor is the boot.... Doesnt taste like chicken tho, more like boots.... ciao, jc

·
Premium Member
26,904 Posts
Hi,

Tried changing the big steering rack gaitor on my 1995 164, the gaitor with two holes on the outer face and one big one on the inner.

The top nut has a hex key fixing inside it. When trying to undo it with just a spanner the whole top of the assembly moved a bit but nothing more.

I have no idea what is behind the gaitor. Any info greatfully received.

Thanks,

Richard
It is the threaded shaft in the spring cartridge (damper). You have to hold shaft with allen wrench hex key while you loosen nut with wrench (spanner).

When rack centered the spring cartridge is in null position (no tension on either spring0 so you need to have wheels centered when you remove nut. See this post of mine: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/432980-post21.html

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the threaded shaft in the spring cartridge (damper). You have to hold shaft with allen wrench hex key while you loosen nut with wrench (spanner).

When rack centered the spring cartridge is in null position (no tension on either spring0 so you need to have wheels centered when you remove nut. See this post of mine: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/432980-post21.html

Thanks Steve,

you're a star as always! :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
During a recent oil change I noticed the gaitor/boot to the power steering ripped in half. I'm not going to be able to deal with this myself. Two questions please.

1. I drive 50 miles a day, about 4 days a week. How important is this to do? Stop driving it? Next oil change? Not that important?

2. What would you estimate the number of hours for an Alfa mechanic to replace?

Thanks a lot.

Cory

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
1. At 200 miles/week assuming oil changes at 3000 miles, that's 15 weeks...a bit of a stretch in my opinion. I'd do it in 4-6 weeks.

2. I'd say 2 hours/side...pull the wheel, pop of tie rod joint, remove tie rod, remove boot.

·
Premium Member
26,904 Posts
If you measure and count threads on inner tie rod end before you take it apart you won't need an alignment.

Since you have the large oval boot on passenger side it takes a little bit extra to hold spring cartridge damper shaft with an allen wrench while you loosen nut.

See if this link helps and these two other pictures, too.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/432980-post21.html

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks. Going to try and make the national convention this year since it's in my neck of the woods and hopefully it will be done by then.

·
Premium Member
9,767 Posts
In case you guys don't know ( I didn't till Wheeler Dealers) a gaitor is the boot.... Doesnt taste like chicken tho, more like boots.... ciao, jc
Thats good to hear. A gaitor has some serious power that can really mess with a steering rack. Better get that thing out of there before things get hairy!

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
so down under, are they known as crocs? Dont we make boots out of gaiter? So many possibilities. ciao jc

·
Premium Member
15,632 Posts
"are they known as crocs?"

They are cousins, but not exactly the same. Crocodiles and alligators belong to the same Crocodylia order. They appear similar; however, there are several differences between the species. Side by side, they do look different.

"Alligators have a very broad, wide snout, and crocodiles have a narrower snout and jaw. Also crocodiles often have a lower tooth that juts out noticeably, while an alligator's fourth tooth is hidden".

We have seen both, the African crocodile in Zimbabwe, and the American alligator in Florida, The African Nile crocodile is really huge, I've read often growing as large 20 feet in length. Very scary, fast and dangerous. We were always warned to stay away from river banks. Southeast Asia, including OZ, has the Indo-Pacific crocodile, which we have seen at a croc farm in Thailand.

·
Premium Member
26,904 Posts
Are we watching NOVA channel or fixing Alfas?

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
No Alfas here:( Getting ready to take the 1995 Buick to my sisters for lunch. Visiting my 95 yo mother in FL.

·
Premium Member
15,632 Posts
Sorry, Steve, for the interruption. Thought it was an interesting question and had to look it up. So, nature is not your thing I guess, lol.

Meanwhile, back to Alfas, some call those rubber doohickies boots and others call them gaiters, depending on where you are from. Works both ways when repairing Alfas, lol.

·
Premium Member
26,904 Posts
Just kidding, however I would rsther wrestle with a 164 if I had a choice.

·
Premium Member
15,632 Posts
Cannot argue with that at all. That African crocodile we saw up close (from the car) was truly scary.

At least, if you are reasonably careful, the Alfa won't eat you. Your money maybe, but not you.

Going to try to rebuild a set of the S struts this spring or summer. Not exactly looking forward to that, but at least it will be safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts