Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
i finally found a mechanic who i trust....and im too busy to replace my 5 speed transmission ....again. i have a used unit and got a good quote for replacement....sooo...while im at it i think i will get him to do the steering rack as well. My question is what are my options? ..my car has the rack with the damper now...its really hard to find at the moment. i can find a regular rack for a reasonable price... what is the difference ? also i have read that an S rack is a stiffer feel, which might be cool also....anyone have a good place to buy these guys?
thanks

Pete

·
Registered
744 Posts
I believe Jason has used and rebuilt racks available. Di Fatta brothers may as well.
My mechanic used a reputable local hydraulic shop to rebuild the steering rack in my LS. That was about 4 years ago and it has developed a slight leak this past year. Mechanic suspects that the rack gets hot being close to the exhaust headers and it caused some of the seals to harden. I asked if the rack could be better insulated or a heat shield installed. He did not think so. We went ahead and added some stop leak to the fluid to see if that helps. So far it has but I have not driven it much since the lock down here in Dallas County.

Good luck with your rebuild / replace decision.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
I used some of the Lucas stop leak a few years ago in a rack where the fluid was slowly disappearing. Worked well, took about 2-3 weeks to take effect. No problems since. It is suppose to soften the seals a little, same as using that similar chemical additive in motor oil in an engine with a leaky main seal, etc.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
I believe Jason has used and rebuilt racks available. Di Fatta brothers may as well.
My mechanic used a reputable local hydraulic shop to rebuild the steering rack in my LS. That was about 4 years ago and it has developed a slight leak this past year. Mechanic suspects that the rack gets hot being close to the exhaust headers and it caused some of the seals to harden. I asked if the rack could be better insulated or a heat shield installed. He did not think so. We went ahead and added some stop leak to the fluid to see if that helps. So far it has but I have not driven it much since the lock down here in Dallas County.

Good luck with your rebuild / replace decision.

Jeff
The 164 comes with a metal heat shield in front of the steering rack. It is attached to the two front rack clamping M10 bolts and those two bolts have M8 studs on top of them that heat shield sets on and is held in place with two M8 nuts and beveled washers.

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
The 164 comes with a metal heat shield in front of the steering rack. It is attached to the two front rack clamping M10 bolts and those two bolts have M8 studs on top of them that heat shield sets on and is held in place with two M8 nuts and beveled washers.
Thanks Steve for pointing that out. And yes, my mechanic did say there was already a heat shield. That is maybe why he did not try and provide any additional shielding or insulation when I asked about it. Now this raises the question is the shield sufficient? I would venture to say no but this is just speculation as we do not know why the seals started to leak after 4 years with probably only 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My 164 24v has done over 150,000 miles and is still on the original rack with no leaks and the only maintainance has been new boots and flush of ATF. Perhaps the repair shop used poor seals in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts