Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Thanks to everyone who offered advise on engine mods for my 73. I very much appreciate your thoughts. I'll keep you posted. The twin spark sounds too good to pass up.....but how do I hide the cost from my wife;) ?

Okay, the steering seems a little vague and lacks the precise feel that I remember. Turn in is okay I think???

When I turn the steering wheel -the drivers side tire moves more than the passanger side.....

...so I purchased the rebuild kit for the idler box assuming that was the issue but I don't really know. I also added fluid to the box and plugged up the hole (it was missing).

Help

Regards

Michael

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Wow, do we share cars or something?? While I did my '73's engine 6 years ago, I just had the steering done a month ago...

But I let an expert do it, and glad that I did. While it was expensive, he took much longer than he thought to remove it and replace it.

I have the old one, which I do plan on rebuilding.

With the new one- wow, nice and tight, precise, everything.

Eric

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eric and Snaidy

Thanks..........I just took apart the idler box this afternoon and greased it up with pig fat-seems to be great.

What did your mechanic do with the steering?

Thanks..

Snaidy....Tie rods are brand new!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
He replaced the box with one that he rebuilt. With the difficulty that he had removing it, he mentioned some evidence of some rather ham fisted repairs by the previous mechanic.

I'll have to look at the box to see...

But there was some serious slop in it, and I inspected all the tie rods, and they were still tight. When I felt under the box, I could feel the problem.

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts