Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
turn left nice and sharp.. turn right, some play, little vagness, than it turns...your ideas?

·
Registered
216 Posts
bad tie rod ends on the right side? also the idler arm is on the right side, maybe loose?

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Could the gearbox be flexing in it's mounts?

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok. you got me.. yes it turns left.. and those redneck repairs.. yup, you got me.. dead to right..

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
radam, t5 tranny energy suspension polly mount.. and paul spreull motor mounts, no flexing here.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I am thinking the steer gearbox flexing in the "frame" which could be more pronounced in one direction versus the other... in theory. Depends on the reason for the flex, if any.

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all the parts are there.. the outter stiffener( both sides )

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I remember you adjusting tire pressure not too long ago. Could a left tire have lost some air?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Danger Danger Danger

This what was happening to me before the steering box broke on my car .

If the front of the box is cracked and flexing but the back is good it will show up as vague steering one way and good the other .

A good test would be to get a helper to crank the wheel back and forth and take a close look at the front and back of the steering box .

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just replaced the driver side box, 3 years ago.. but i will look for any cracks..

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had a "good" spare box . Started to rebuild it ... it had cracks . Got one from a friend ... it had cracks .He had a second one and it was good . Be very careful with the steering box . I think it is an example of poor engineering . Very rare for Alfa.The steering box should have been thicker or made from steel .

They can be had new and are a thing of beauty . What price would you put on having steering ?

Montreal LHD Steering Box Case | Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts and accessories

I emailed Max and he will make one for the 105 / 115 cars for the same price.

·
Registered
what part?
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my cars an 1984 ..zf box.. that looks like an earlyer box.. but thanks..695 pounds = to about $1200.00 usd...wow!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts