Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
when i turn the wheel is makes a creaking, squeaking noise, even if I just move it a fraction of an inch when parked. Oil in steering box is ok. Vehicle is a 1982 spider

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Mine used to do that then one day I went to make a u-turn and heard a loud bang - the entire box shattered into three or four pieces and I lost all steering. After towing it home and pulling the box I could see that it had a very large crack that had existed for a long time (full of grease and dirt). Not to freak you out because you may have a completely unrelated issue but I'd, at the very least, remove the shroud and take a good look at what's going on.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
not to freak you out, but you're gonna die.....;)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
LOL - :eek:

Small consolation - if it IS going to bust it will most likely do it when you are trying to parallel park.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
have a look at the steering box mounting area on the chassis and especially the area where the steering idler is mounted to - sometimes this metal gets weak and starts to move with the steering action, and eventually cracks - you need a friend to turn the wheel and you have a good look down there!
Just a thought..........

·
Registered
172 Posts
It was the older Burman boxes that tended to crack. Your 82 should have a ZF box. Nevertheless it is good advice to inspect it very carefully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts