Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Looking for a replacement U joint for the steering column on a 73 GTV. Any experiences with this item? Can the original be "restored"?

Thanks.

Jim

Here is an expert from a Search:

I just had to replace a steering column U joint on a Burman box. The steering Universal joint seems to be NLA. I measured the old one at 20mm for the cup diameter and 45mm for the distance across the cups.

I found a U joint for what I believe is an ATV that has the correct size cups and is 44mm across the cups. Bought it from a business called "The U joint Store" The paperwork say Item TUS-2044. Chinese manufacturer and the box says Koyou.

I stamped out two washers from .020" shim stock to make up the 1mm difference in width.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Interesting thread and fix. I've replaced these a few times with better used ones. It hasn't been available from Alfa for 20+ years. I find these boxes to be a problem in general. They flex the side wall where they mount, cracking the sheet metal and sometimes the whole aluminum housing. We had a race car that broke it's steering box and wrecked as a result. One of the Alfa service reps said that it happened frequently. I think that you might consider replacing the whole box and column from a later Spider.
Keith
Alfas Unlimited

1 - 2 of 2 Posts