Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI, I need advice how to change out the aluminum cover support for the steering column of my 74' GTV. I have a replacement (shown here) but I was unable to free the cover and hopefully slide it back over the old steering column already in my car. Is this possible?
Thanks,
Chip

·
Registered
452 Posts
If the steering shaft within this new column is useable, just unbolt the old one and swap the ign swtich, turn stalk, etc. These attach to the dash underside with 2 bolts, and a thrid bolt holds the UV joint to the steering box. Undo these three bolts and it pulls right out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,Hans

So, is the †ube designed so it can't be seperated from the shaft within? There is a large brass colored bearing at the steering wheel end that must be press fit..it refuses to move.

·
Super Moderator
12,047 Posts
Most of my experience is with earlier Alfas that have the one-piece steering shaft/column design. On those, the tube that comes out of the Burman box can be seperated from the aluminum bracket. All you need to do is to loosen the "pinch bolt" shown in the upper left corner of the photo you posted, and the tube will slide out of the bracket.

I did help a friend with a later GTV - that car had the U-jointed column. As I recall, we could not seperate the inner column from the aluminum bracket. At least, not with common tools - obviously the factory assembled it somehow.

Hans2 solution of disconnecting the U joint, and replacing the whole column-tube-bracket assembly is probably your best bet.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I pulled mine off with the steering column still in place (as a step before pulling the Burman box out). No real problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts