Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Ken, my ignition switch is on the right (Jan '69 RHD). Your point before about the position of the screw/bolt holes on the underside of the shroud lower piece is important I think. That and the overall length of the shroud. The distance between the two screw holes and the rear edge of the shroud (i.e., closest to the driver) was relevant in my case. They were very close. Some shrouds had them further down.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi all, I have contacted CA with photos and measurements. They said I need the type IN252 which is for the GTV 2000 (not the 1750 as I have an early one).
I will keep you on the fit once I receive it. I have mentioned they should add the hole measurement in the description of each shroud on the website...more next week.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hi all, I have contacted CA with photos and measurements. They said I need the type IN252 which is for the GTV 2000 (not the 1750 as I have an early one).
I will keep you on the fit once I receive it. I have mentioned they should add the hole measurement in the description of each shroud on the website...more next week.
I would say that what you need is the shorter cover as used on unmodified 2000 cars and unmodified USA Spec 1750 and that Classic Alfa sells for 2000 and late Juniors #IN252. Your car is how it should as built. Classic Alfa should take note because you are not their first customer to order the wrong product.

I must look to see how the other vendors are describing their shrouds.

You should be all set now.

Ken

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ken, thanks for your input and help. Will keep you all informed. Stay all safe

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Ken, my ignition switch is on the right (Jan '69 RHD). Your point before about the position of the screw/bolt holes on the underside of the shroud lower piece is important I think. That and the overall length of the shroud. The distance between the two screw holes and the rear edge of the shroud (i.e., closest to the driver) was relevant in my case. They were very close. Some shrouds had them further down.
First let me say I am only talking about Shrouds for RHD and LHD 1750s and 2000 in all 3 bodies. Ignition on right.

I have just spent some time going through parts books for 1750 Euro and USA and 2000 Euro and USA all 3 bodies. For all these variations there are basicly only 2 shrouds. A long and a short. To suit only 2 Aluminum column supports including the support for the u-jointed steering boxes.

The long is for 1750 All World LHD and RHD except USA. All bodies.

The short is for 1750 USA and All World LHD and RHD 2000. All Bodies and 1600 GTj. A differing bottom is used on some 1750 short where there is a need for a pod for a control knob.

In passing the parts books show shallow dish steering wheel for 1750 All World except USA and deep dish steering wheel for 1750 USA and all 2000. All bodies. And 1600 GTj

So this is how they are said to have come from the factory. If steering boxes and associated parts have been substituted "incorrectly" then all bets are off.

Other bodies such as the later Supers and some later 1300 Juniors may use the same parts, I don't know exactly. Some Supers have similar parts but ignition switch is on left. The earlier 1600 GTs (and Duettos??) differ in part because there is no ignition switch and lock on the column but I think the lengths are the long type so that a long box with a lock could be used on the earlier but not visa vera. There are more LHD vs RHD differences in shrouds and Alu supports.

Stay well out there

Ken

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Thanks Ken. Good work on this, at times, vexing issue. You have compiled accurate information that will help others negotiate the available reproductions and the diversity of used ones that sometimes are offered as being ‘suitable for all 105’ models.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you Ken. This iis incredibly helpful,. Thank you for the deep dive on this,.
Stay safe

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi All, this to let you know that I have received and installed the shroud from CA. The IN252 that is supposed to be for GTV2000.
Fits perfectly. No my question is the gap between the shroud and the steering wheel. Is there a missing piece here? I have sene lots of photos some with the gap some not....just wondering.
2 photos attached of the new shroud... stay all safe

Attachments

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Mine is a 1750 but has a black 'plastic' piece under the wheel as part of the horn hub/contact assembly

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I had a similair problem when I installed my steering system. The shroud you have is indeed correct for the 1969 GTV and the gap should be much less than what you show (mine is as per first photo). You may be able to gain possibly 3/8" to 1/2 " by loosing the 2 bolts securing the housing to the body mounting points (shown in the second photo) and sliding the whole housing back. It's surprising how loose the mounting hole (actually not a hole but an opening) is. Of course the key lock needs to engage in a slotted hole in the shaft so there is only so much that you can gain without exceeding the correct engagement position. Give that a go and see what you get.

IMG_3713.JPG img 017.jpg

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I had a similair problem when I installed my steering system. The shroud you have is indeed correct for the 1969 GTV and the gap should be much less than what you show (mine is as per first photo). You may be able to gain possibly 3/8" to 1/2 " by loosing the 2 bolts securing the housing to the body mounting points (shown in the second photo) and sliding the whole housing back. It's surprising how loose the mounting hole (actually not a hole but an opening) is. Of course the key lock needs to engage in a slotted hole in the shaft so there is only so much that you can gain without exceeding the correct engagement position. Give that a go and see what you get.

View attachment 1621055 View attachment 1621056
Will do so this week end and report./

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Mine is a 1750 but has a black 'plastic' piece under the wheel as part of the horn hub/contact assembly
But don't you have a shallow dish wheel. Hellebore? If so you are comparing apples to oranges. Shallow dish Hellebore to deep dish hellebore and deep dish Personal.

k

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Yes. Hellebore 108. True the OP has a deep dish. I assumed they also had a similar hub assembly.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi All. I have tried last week end to slide to whole housing back., Did not gain anything significant. Will have to look for another solution if any...

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
The only reason I can see that the gap is that large is that you have the longer steering shaft not the shorter (correct one for the car). The longer shaft cars would have been fitted with a longer shroud...(as was intimated in some of the earlier responses). Here's how the 2 versions compare..

Picture 099.jpg

Picture 102.jpg

Picture 101.jpg

If the mounting hole pattern differ....then perhaps you need to also find the correct housing for the longer shaft version. Just a thought.....

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hi All, this to let you know that I have received and installed the shroud from CA. The IN252 that is supposed to be for GTV2000.
Fits perfectly. No my question is the gap between the shroud and the steering wheel. Is there a missing piece here? I have seen lots of photos some with the gap some not....just wondering.
2 photos attached of the new shroud... stay all safe
How big is that gap? If as 1750 GTV is suggesting, that you have a long shaft steering column in a short Alu Hanger (as original) then you should have or be able to get about a 1-5/16 gap there which you will be able to close with a long alu support bracket and a long shroud. When you tried to move the Alu support back did you get it loose to have any movement forward or back? There are 3 bolts 2 horizontal to chassis and one clamping on left side.

Ken

21 - 37 of 37 Posts