Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at many posts and did some deep dive on the web but do not find any straight answer. I have bought on classic Alfa a steering column shroud for my US specs 1969 GTBertone 1750. The upper part is in good condition but lower part is not. The new piece I have received is too long and does not match the upper part. Do you know if there is 2 kinds of steering column size or could the actual one I have been changed? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Pictures would help. Also info on what part you ordered from CA (IN252?) and what steering wheel you may have on your car...

The 1750 GTVs were a transitional period for the coupes. The 1750 '69 and '71 had numerous differences between them, as well as between the earlier step nose and later 2000's. Someone with better knowledge, please chime in, but I believe the '69 had a U-jointed steer column like the later 2000 GTVs so the shroud should be compatible with the dished steering wheel and integrated ignition switch.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
  • What are those pictures of. I do not believe you got that from Classic Alfa as you seem to imply. I also have a problem understanding why you did not find a definitive answer on this BB as you are not the first to be faced with figuring out what is going on with their steering column and ther is lots of discussion here on the BB.
There are as far as I know 2 lengths of steering column of the locking type and can be changed out. Ken's picture above shows a deep dish wheel which should come with the short column and short shroud. But a deep dish wheel will fit on a long shaft and a shallow wheel on short.

You take off your shroud and measure the distance between the front and rear mounting holes then search here or communicate with your vendor to get the correct one.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Pictures would help. Also info on what part you ordered from CA (IN252?) and what steering wheel you may have on your car...

The 1750 GTVs were a transitional period for the coupes. The 1750 '69 and '71 had numerous differences between them, as well as between the earlier step nose and later 2000's. Someone with better knowledge, please chime in, but I believe the '69 had a U-jointed steer column like the later 2000 GTVs so the shroud should be compatible with the dished steering wheel and integrated ignition switch.
I have never seen a u -jointed box on a 1750 except on the one 1971 after I installed a u -jointed box on it after a Burman box failure. I have seen them on (late??) 2000 GTVs and berlinas.

Ken

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have never seen a u -jointed box on a 1750 except on the one 1971 after I installed a u -jointed box on it after a Burman box failure. I have seen them on (late??) 2000 GTVs and berlinas.

Ken
Looks like gtv21200 has a short shroud on a long shaft. Could we deduce that a long shaft is a solid shaft and a short one U-jointed?

Agree that the OP needs to contact CA and inquire which shroud (IN234 or IN252) is correct for his car.

Stay well.. hunkered down here in California..
Ken

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry of I have not been clear. The photos are from the actual shroud in place I want to change the upper part looks different from the lower part (texture wise). I have tried to mount the IN234 from CA. Indeed distance from front to rear mounting holes on the actual is shorter than the one on the IN234 I have received.I will mesure it and post it here to get some help as right now CA does not really answer based on the situation in UK.I have seen many posts on this issue but no specific answer with reference or what to get. The measurement from front to rear is about 7 and 1/4inches.
thank you.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will contact CA by email. and post here if that helps others.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I will contact CA by email. and post here if that helps others.
Keep in mind that it's not uncommon to interchange steering boxes and their associated shafts when a box fails. A PO may have replaced your steering box/shaft with what could be acquired, and not bothered to get a proper shroud. If the car is new to you, welcome to the BB.

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Bellagt. Thanks. Yes I am new to BB! Got the car late February. Mechanically has been fully restored very nicely. underbody looks great and rust free.. Interior needs some cosmetic new parts in order to look great such as the shroud issue among with center console issue...
Here is a photo of the car.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Did you see this thread.

The long shroud mounting holes are 8-5/8 inches apart (21.8 cm)

Classic Alfa Part IN 234 is the long one, IN 252 is the short and likely the one you need. Based on their less than addequate description I can see why you would order the long and wrong one for your USA spec 69 (but they do not say for USA just for 1750) if in fact your car is correct to factory spec. Others should comment on that last part. Because of the "few" nuances of the Alfas for the vendor an informed customer is the best customer.

You will sort this and can send the wrong one back or sell here and suggest they improve their descriptions and maybe include the mount spacing dimensions.

ken

·
Registered
1750 GTV US specs 1969
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dear Kengta, thanks for the feedback. I had not seen the post you are referin\g to. Went through the cracks of all my researche. I will suggest to CA that they get a better description such as the measurement between mounting holes Stay all safe.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Posters 2,3 and 5 reflect my experience on a Jan '69 car. The shroud was cracked and had been repaired (and again by me) but some of the retained screws were missing inside and it still looked ratty. I decided to get a replacement shroud. I wasn't exactly sure about which CA one was suitable and contacted Robert at Manning motors. There are a myriad of minor variations and for the Series 1.5 (transition cars) it can be quite unclear. The measurements of the location of the bolt holes is critical, as said. Robert has a stack of good quality original ones and he requested that I post him my existing ones to make sure the ones he sent were correct. Perfect outcome.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Not sure "myriad of minor variations" is apt even if you are talking about the whole car and as to the shrouds, I think there were only 2 lengths and some external variations after the 1750 was introduced including the 1300 juniors with the 1750 type dash and then on to the 2 litre cars and the 1600 GTj.

I also suspect there were commonalities with the Spider and Berlinas in the same era. I also think, but am not sure, that the RHD and LHD used the same shroud length (long) and switch and key orientation, but not sure as I only had a quick look at a parts book. The part book does indicate a shaft and associated part change up to and after a certain Chassis number.

Before the 1750 GTV era there were other shrouds and differences.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
There are quite a few and the RHD and LHD key position seemed to add further. I looked at many Ken and needed to be sure I was getting the right ones.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Where is your key and its column lock. Left or right. On the LHD GTVs, spiders, Berlina it is on the right so 2 types long and short. The LHD giulia Super of certain vintage with hand pull emergency brake it is on the left.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The 1969 US spec GTV's have a steering wheel with a very deep dish, consequently the steering wheel shaft is shorter that the later GTV's. The shroud is therefore shorter than those of the later cars as well.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The 69 US model GTV and Spider have the same shroud. This is what you need....

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Hey Ross I think not later. I think USA safety mandated getting the chest piercing steering shaft farther away so the long shaft was shortened for USA for 1969 while the long shaft continued for rest of world. The USA short shaft needed a deep dish to restore driver hand position. At some point deep dish was found on all world cars and so all had short shaft by then. This my thinking. 2 lengths of shaft, 2 lengths of alu shaft support and 2 lengths of shrouds. There were some shroud variations with pods added to deal with pull cable knobs. Ignition switch on right. Applicable to 1750, 2000, 1300 GTj with 1750 type dash onward and 1600 GTj. Giulia Super probably changed also but I do not know detail. Most of my knowlege is for lhd. RHD guys can comment especially if there ignition switch was some times or always on the left.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts