Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Liquid Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Fluid

So I got to the bottom of the starting issue and low and behold saw oil flooding out of the steering box and as you can see a big old crack so over to you !!

Think it may be called a Burnham box from what I have read and not a job for a bloke as thick as me so any advice appreciated and I thought I would be back in the game at the weekend !!!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,106 Posts
It's "Burman". If you do a search you'll find lots of info, and unfortunately these boxes are known to crack.

You can buy a new case and rebuild it, there are cast ($$) and CNC machined ($$$) ones available. I did it and it's not rocket science but it does require a modicum of skill and some precise measurements.

Alternatively you can replace it with a ZF box, which will be reliable without modification.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
well grease won't fix a crack.
Don't drive it.

replacement is the option.
get a used Burman and hope for the best that it hasn't a haircrack that you can't see and only becomes visible when you start steering:(
replace the box with one of two expensive options.
really dear new alfaholics case and swop over your internal components (you need to know what you are doing, of course, as if your components are shot why bother!)
Alfaholics Billet Aluminium Steering Box Casing - LHD Burman Type
New cast case and swop all your components over, etc.

change it for a ZF, lose some of the fine feel, but a ZF isn't prone to cracking.

otoh, If you just won the lottery, then this is a nice option (if the length of the column fits your spider, that is)
New Steering Box with Alfaholics Billet Casing - LHD Burman Type • Alfaholics

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Question, what year Spider? If it is the one in #1, which appears to be a S3 model, then your steering box should be a ZF . At least all USA delivered models came stock with a ZF. Maybe this helps.
cheers, Jon

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I see i bet they are few and far between what other cars would you find one of those on or woukd it have to be a spider as they are as rare as rocking horse ****e where I am !!
I have found one at Classic Alfa which is a fair bit cheaper so does it look much the same do you think (£595)
It's way beyond my capability but sure someone locally will be able to do it as long as I get all if the right parts for it
It sure is a love hate relationship as just when you think you are ok something bites you on the rear end !!!
Appreciate the advice as always
Thanks
Steve

SU156 LATE BURMAN STEERING BOX CASING LHD

£525.00

Steering box casing for LHD late Burman steering boxes.
Please compare to your existing casing before purchasing.
Please note, the threaded holes in these new cases have been changed from the original UNC thread to M8 x 1.25

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jon

The car is 1987 and is a US import if that's any help
I can try to take a better picture of the box tomorrow so that we can identify the offending item !
Thanks
Ste

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
949 Posts
Bayliner, your car looks fantastic! Unfortunately with that shattered steering box you are grounded. Very odd because AFAIK all US 86 & later Spiders were built with a ZF steering box. I've never heard of a ZF box cracking, and by my reckoning no amount of 'fine Burman feel' offsets the cracking hazard.

It appears you are in the UK, maybe someone can recommend a local source for you.

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 1990 Spider Veloce, and here's a photo of the ZF steering box in it.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
The one you picture is a Burman unit. Not knowing all the history I would guess a prior owner replaced the original ZF with the Burman unit. They both work. Check the length of the steering shaft to make sure you get a correct replacement.
cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Some praise the Burman box as more precise but the ZF ain't chopped liver. You can live a very full life even with the ZF steering box.

David OD
Laguna CA
Agreed. If your steering with a ZF is not precise, you may need to look at the linkages and the box adjustment.
I do like the burman a little better but not enough to put one in one of my ZF cars and deal with the issues.
All that being said, I remember my spider with the Burman box as being the best driving spider I have ever driven

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
well grease won't fix a crack.
Don't drive it.

replacement is the option.
get a used Burman and hope for the best that it hasn't a haircrack that you can't see and only becomes visible when you start steering:(
replace the box with one of two expensive options.
really dear new alfaholics case and swop over your internal components (you need to know what you are doing, of course, as if your components are shot why bother!)
New cast case and swop all your components over, etc.

change it for a ZF, lose some of the fine feel, but a ZF isn't prone to cracking.

otoh, If you just won the lottery, then this is a nice option (if the length of the column fits your spider, that is)
New Steering Box with Alfaholics Billet Casing - LHD Burman Type • Alfaholics
Dom
Do you know why the Burman box feels better to drive than the ZF? I have never really thought about this before

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
Burman geometry has less angular 'slop' at the extremes, its more linear on steering input angle vs output angle once you get off-center. Personally, I:ve never noticed an issue with ZF box : if its properly adjusted, I doubt there are many on the BB that could tell, in a blind test, which box was in the car they were driving.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts