Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently tightened the steering box on my 72 Berlina and thought I'd share what I learned about it with you all.

I had some slop in my steering that needed to be taken care of. I had already replaced the tie rods and the idler arm has been rebuilt so I knew the slop wasn't caused by either.

Berlinas came with two different kinds of boxes, ZF and Burman. The Burman box is the most common and in fact some ppl say they have never seen a ZF box on a Berlina.

My Berlina has a Burman box. To tighten it up you simply locate the top of the box. Look for a small oval shaped plate held down by two 13mm bolts (head size). Loosen the bolts and remove the plate. Underneath you will see a spring and some metal shims (wassup with Alfa and shims?). To tighten you will remove shims, to loosen you add shims.

Note: Make sure the worm and roller is good and oiled or greased.

I would suggest removing 2 to start with then replacing the bolts and plate. Take the car for a test drive. If more is needed then repeat the process.

Note: You may find some paper shims as well. I thought these were gaskets at first but my Giulia Workshop Manual states these are indeed shims.

I ended up removing all the metal shims (5 of them) and leaving the paper shims. Lo and behold my steering is now nice and tight.

You all probably knew this already but just thought I'd share the magic.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Great Info

When you say slop are you referring to streeing wheel play?

qoute "Underneath you will see a spring and some metal shims (wassup with Alfa and shims?). To tighten you will remove shims, to tighten you add shims."

Which is which? I'm assuming pulling shim's out tighten's it up a little?

Very good info, glad you shared this.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oops! Typo. Yes, to tighten you remove shims, to loosen you add shims.

Slop = Steering wheel play :)

Sometimes I don't define my terms.

For a ZF box you will tighten the nut on top of the steering box. I'm not sure if you have to remove anything or not to get to it. I didn't look that closely at my manual as I have a Burman.

Also, the Spider and GTV use the same two boxes, if I recall correctly.

It's kinda cool, only takes about 10 minutes and makes all the difference in the world.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts