Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm having a problem on my Track Day GT Junior.

The steering has a bit of loose feeling due to the chassis leg moving a bit. I was advised to reinforce the legs were they are welded to the firewall.
These people sugested to weld a 2mm steel plate over the joint of the two panels below the fender in each side.

I don't think that this solution is the more apropriate because it still lets the leg move sideways. Has anyone done this reinforcement or a better and more efective one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you have a strong heart, get somebody to move the wheel from side to side while you look in at the steering box and the idler arm from above - there can be a LOT of flex.

All you need to do is improve the bracing of the box section that they bolt to, which is easily done through the method described (plating as big an area as possible - spreads the load to the edges of the box section where it is stronger, not the middle where it is wobbly).

It not really the leg itself that flexes (or the car would be really undriveable - if that is what your car is doing, something is very very wrong??) but the flat sides that are not well braced (a whiteboard would help...).

Hope this makes some sense...(?)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's it. I missexplained myself...:rolleyes:

I'm going to try it next week. If somebody has any input, you're very welcome!:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts