Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Alfa Gurus,

On my 1975 Spider - I might have a leaking steering box, I noticed a small bit of oil near the drivers side front tire. I was reading some threads that say 'pack it with some flowable grease and call it a day". I am not ready to properly fix it yet, but I don't want it to run dry either. Does the grease option work? If yes, how do I do this? Anybody have a picture to share?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,824 Posts
Penrite is one brand of lightweight grease. I just picked up a similar type to do the same fix until i can replace the seal.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
I’m still using oil but here is a longish thread about grease. To go that route you will want 00 grease, also commonly used in snowblowers.

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
i rebuilt both my steering box and ideeler box, and used red lituim greasr,, just pump into the box.. easy, then you might adjust the freeplay

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i rebuilt both my steering box and ideeler box, and used red lituim greasr,, just pump into the box.. easy, then you might adjust the freeplay
Could you describe or show a pic of where it gets pumped into the box. I am not familiar with it. Is there a plug to remove or a cover to open up?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've been using the Pentrite grease on my S2 steering box for seven years, it leaked oil but was otherwise perfect and still is

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Here's where the fill hole is on mine. It's the small cap with the hole in it next to the bottom bolt on the football shaped adjustment cover. Carefully pry it off with a screwdriver. The air hole is to relieve the pressure when the box gets hot sitting next to the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
pressure relief???the steering system is not sealed in any way.. the steering column is also a tube...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,454 Posts
There was a TSB for the Burman cars to add a small vent to the edge of the plastic cap. People were having issues with it popping out when the box heated up due to the nearby exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
hard to beleive that much pressure would build up... the steering shaft is inside the steering tube, and there is a lot of space between the two.. so any heated air would pass between those.i just cleaned and rebiult the whole system last fall. you might want to just remove the steering system out of the car, and do a clean up..its not really hard to do you could have the system out in less than 20 mins/ when i worked at alfetta motors, i saw alot of this... this one is mine.
20180904_182705.jpg
20180905_171022.jpg
20180905_171034.jpg

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
just if you do this, mark the arm and shaft with two really good marks, then photo them

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,454 Posts
The TSB is for the 1974 Burman steering box cars with the short splined input shaft. These have a seal on the input shaft and can apparently build up pressure.

You've got a ZF box there. Those are a heck of a lot easier to disassemble, rebuild, and adjust than the Burman boxes: the Burman internals are rather complex and you need to do the clearance adjustments with shims. It's not rocket science, there are good instructions on the BB, but it's not a fast job.

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
gubi is right zf boxes area a peice of cake to rebuild... burman boxes are a wee bit harder to rebuild..done 4 or 5 of them...i like zf boxes :) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts