Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know straight 90 wt is the preferred oil for the steering box but is it even available? I can find several multi weights all around and including 90 but I cannot find straight 90.

Anyone have a brand and a source? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
I use red lith. grease, no leaks this way .also I have headers in my car so one pipe is really close to the steering box.. the grease will not run out as it get hot.. 5 years so far..

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a new box in the car. When my old box developed a crack, I tried a product called Penrite Steering Box Lube; it really did not help with the leak. I thought that I would go back with original spec oil with the new box but wonder if this is a better choice?
The product is described as a Semi Fluid Extreme Pressure Grease.
Anyone else try this and any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
I have used semi-liquid grease in a steering box that leaked but I don't see a good reason to use it in one with good seals.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have a new box in the car. When my old box developed a crack, I tried a product called Penrite Steering Box Lube; it really did not help with the leak. I thought that I would go back with original spec oil with the new box but wonder if this is a better choice?
The product is described as a Semi Fluid Extreme Pressure Grease.
Anyone else try this and any thoughts?
Once the steering box cracks I suspect any form of lubricant will leak, I've recently discovered that the steering box in my spider is cracked and it has grease in it and it's leaking out, I'm in the process of replacing it with a refurbed one, it has been filled with Penrite box lube, and just replaced the box in my GT with a refurbed one with Penrite box lube as well, I will keep an eye out for leaks but I doubt there will be any for a long while

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,492 Posts
If the steering box cracks you've got bigger problems than leaks: that's a serious safety issue.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
If the steering box cracks you've got bigger problems than leaks: that's a serious safety issue.
Since I'll be rebuilding mine, and this is a concern, I'm wondering where I could have the case analyzed for cracks. Mine was pretty much empty so where did it go? I don't visually see cracks but wonder....

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Fill it up with oil and see where it leaks from. There is a thread about replacing the bottom seal and that is the likely source.

Alfa used two different brands of steering box. The ZF has an adjuster screw on the top and they do not usually crack. The Burman boxes are well known for cracking and I have seen one split into two pieces. There are plenty of posts about this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts