Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While under the car for another reason, it looks like I've found another problem to be resolved over this coming winter - steering box leak. When I bought the car a few months back and went through all the fluids, I checked the steering box and needed to fill it - appeared to take more than a top. When under the car, I see the joints under the steering box coated in oil and a drips hanging from them that appear to originate from the seal on the shaft that comes down from the steering box.

Can somebody forward a link to a post or other instruction on what it takes to correct this problem, inlcuding removing the assembly from the car, assuming it can't be done still installed on the car. A seal part number would be useful to.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the note of where to go look for info.

Sorry, I should have specfied its an 87 Quadrifoglio. Will knowing the year indicate what brand it is, otherwise what do I check to figure out which it is.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I'm 99.9% you have a ZF box. I can't recall the year they changed but it might have been mid to late 70's....

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Your 87 should have a ZF. It can be ID'd by an adjustment screw with locking nut on the top of the box.

A Burman box has a football shaped plate with two mounting bolts on the top of the box.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked and its a ZF. Does the process change much from the Burman procedure. Can this one also be done will on the car? Thanks

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,002 Posts
mine had a leak..i just poured in bard oil treatment( no smoke) thick as honey, but with my headers 1/2" away it works well even cold no leaks and easy to turn, and as the headers heat up, the steering box heats up,, thins it out, still no leaks

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bianchi1, now you're talking my language... keep it as simple as possible and if all else fails, then go to the extreme. I will have to try that (providing I can find the product in Canada - or similar). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I topped up the steering box with some stop smoke after getting the suggestions and no luck - still leaking. Perhaps if it was close to empty it might have worked for me. I think the heavier stop smoke is just pushing the 80w90 out the bottom. Does anybody know if the ZF seal is the same as the Burman seal referenced in the FAQ. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
You can mix together some wheel bearing grease and some 90w to make a mixture that is thick enought to lube but not thin enough to leak out. I get a basting syringe from a home store and fill it with a spoon and then inject into the fill hole and it worked fine, then I rebuilt my box and replaced the seal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts