Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am delving deeper into this restoration project of a 71 GTV.
I am new to this.
I am wondering if there is a good way to clean the steering box? So far it has been very slow going with it in situ using a nylon brush (brass brushes will scratch it, right?) and some plastic chisels. I was hoping to not need to take it out but it might be necessary. If I do, I’m still stumped how to clean it? I’m scared to use glass beads or a hot dip. Any other ideasim not thinking of?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,243 Posts
Gunk Foamy and plastic bristle brush. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
its very easy to remove when you don't have an engine in there, you can paint it then too

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
clean inside and outside.. pack full of red litium grease for best long turm performance

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
also, this might seam strange.. but after you clean it,, find the 'hollow on the backside,, you just cleaned it,,( this is the side facing the bodyshell) we did this at alfetta motors,,, and it made it stringer( less flexing ) get some fiberglass resin, and fill the ' hollow ' with it.... it will set up in a few mins.. file the exxes( sp? ) with a flat file.. then install the box onto the bodyshell..don't dscount this..it works, by filling up that area.. and stopping flexing of the steering box/ i even did the same thing on my 1984 zf box

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, this might seam strange.. but after you clean it,, find the 'hollow on the backside,, you just cleaned it,,( this is the side facing the bodyshell) we did this at alfetta motors,,, and it made it stringer( less flexing ) get some fiberglass resin, and fill the ' hollow ' with it.... it will set up in a few mins.. file the exxes( sp? ) with a flat file.. then install the box onto the bodyshell..don't dscount this..it works, by filling up that area.. and stopping flexing of the steering box/ i even did the same thing on my 1984 zf box
Hey sorry just seeing this. I will look into what youre talking about. Seems like a good plan.

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
update,, you might want to use some 40 grit paper on the box that you will be pouring in the fiberglass resin, and add chopped fiberglass strands to make it stiffer.. i did this on my car.. i dont know if i can feel it,, but the car does steer quicker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts