Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'65 Giulia Spider 1600 '87 GTV6 2.5l
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's wrong with my steering wheel assembly?? When I open it I can find metal dust deposited in the interior of the column cover and my turn signal assembly is getting shaved, one of the spring retainer rings is half gone....

I have fitted the new turn signal the same way the old broken one was, no source of error there. Horn and high beam are working ok. The visual gap between the wheel hub and the column cover looks ok. Wheel revolutions are easy and noiseless.
But I can feel scratching when moving the indicator's lever while driving.

I thought the spring and sleeve assembly inside the steering shaft could be faulty. Now thinking that the turn signal assembly (new from ClassicAlfa) could just be thicker than the factory one??

If you've experience that as well or have any kind of suggestion let me know!

·
Registered
'65 Giulia Spider 1600 '87 GTV6 2.5l
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will share one as soon as I get my car back...I have tried to illustrate on this snapshot that it is the spring hole located at the bottom of the turn signal assembly that is getting shaved to the bone...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,589 Posts
That's very odd. If you push the lever down, is it rubbing on the shaft? That's the only thing I'd think could be doing it.

Is the return spring routed properly? See photo.

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
I just put a new repro one in a Giulia Spider. Compared to the original part the repro doesn't fit that well and clearances seem very close. I wonder if that's the issue?
Andrew

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,589 Posts
So the turn signal assembly shouldn't be touching anything, I think, so if that's what's rubbing it's not clear that lack of grease is your issue.

Now, if the dust/noise is coming from the spring where it rides on the metal steering shaft then lubrication may help. There is a lot of debate about whether the spring should be dry or not, I found mine did not work properly unless it got a few drops of oil.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
All good comments but I think a picture of where the hole(or plastic) is wearing will be very helpful.Are your spring hooks the original or correct size? I can tell you from experience that when I wound my spring around the column the wrong way,ie. over/under (looking at Gubi's illustration),it didn't work.Why,I don't have a clue but when wound per drawing,it works fine,follow his drawing.To Andrews' point,I could easily see it being a reproduction part problem,might need a little dressing/modifying,again,a picture will help? FWIW,I see those holes as a weak area of the design,so I reinforced mine with small brass rivets and epoxy. Theirry,I've been told both no and yes to using lube under the spring.On my 61' spider,a small amount of grease worked better than no lube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.