Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my ‘84 Spider
The previous owner installed the steering arm out of time with the steering box itself and has bugged me forever. While being up in the air presently for other things I’ve tried a couple of gear pullers, but no joy In getting it off.
Is there a puller to be had that will accomplish this feat?
Thanks kindly,
M

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,520 Posts
This is the style of puller that worked well for me (though I will say my shaft seal was leaking oil all over the splines for a while, so it wasn't actually too bad to get off). Be sure to use a good EP grease on the puller threads.

I would spray the crap out of it with PB Blaster (trying to get as much on top of the arm as possible), let it soak through the splines for a bit, and then try with the puller below. If that doesn't work my mechanic's advice was to put the puller on it and then get the splines/arm really hot with a torch, but I didn't have to go that route.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have worked on various steering boxes from various (makes) of cars. I have some excellent pullers. But I will tell you, getting the pitman arm off is often beyond these kind pullers. And you will to resort to hydraulic equipment.
I would be cautious when it comes to heating the arm for various reasons. With lots of heats and lots of pull it might deform. The heat will seal into the steering box and might damage the seals. If you are going for an overhaul of the box and will mount a new arm, anything goes of course!

I certainly could not get my steering arm off my old ZF box, which I was replacing for a Buhrman at the time on my series 3.

Good luck

Jeroen

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
You will also need the 1/2 inch long screw shaft extension. As the screw shaft is not long enough.

This is the tool Alfa set us in 1991 when there was a recall on defective pitman and idler arms. Thsi tool popped them right off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will also need the 1/2 inch long screw shaft extension. As the screw shaft is not long enough.

This is the tool Alfa set us in 1991 when there was a recall on defective pitman and idler arms. Thsi tool popped them right off.

Thanks Jim,
‘I’ll give it a try. My normal few gear pullers will not touch this as it’s bloody tight for sure. I’ll order this morning
Cheers all !!
M

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
I'll get the number of the other piece you need and post it this evening.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
If its on that tight and he really did install it off the teeth, dont be surprised if you have to replace the steering arm. You may get lucky.
I used the same pitman arm puller that Gubi used from Harbor Freight, and it didnt give me any issue. But my box had been leaking oil all over it, so mine was only moderately difficult to pull.

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
Thanks Jim,
‘I’ll give it a try. My normal few gear pullers will not touch this as it’s bloody tight for sure. I’ll order this morning
Cheers all !!
M
I got the numbers wrong. You want OTC 7311a puller and OTC 8053 shaft protector. The shaft in the puller is not quite long enough to do the job. The 8053 extends it enough so it will work.

When you go to do this loosen the nut until its flush with the end of the steering shaft. This will keep the arm from flying at you when it pops loose. Don't be afraid to hit the end of the thread shaft on the tool to help pop it loose. Do this after you have tightened it as tight as you think you can get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts