Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Im looking at buying some widened 15' steel wheels for my 66 stepnose. I reckon they look fantastic but Ive read a few comments from people saying that all steel rims are dangerous as the steel flexes more than Aluminium and ulitimately cracks:eek:

The Widened rims are apparently even more dangerous than the standard one.

Id be very interested to hear from others on the subject as id like to buy these but are a bit concerned now about safety.

I would imagine this would be of oncern to quite a few owners as there are plenty of cars around with the original narrow steelies and I've seen quite a few photos of the widened ones in use so maybe they are not as big a problem as people make them out to be.

Id never use them on a track but I spose brisk, spirited driving in the hills is certainly on the cards for any self respecting 105 owner and the stresses involded in a fast country drive probably get quite high too.

Any thoughts.....happy with them and checked for cracks but all OK ....or 'I was driving down my local road one day and BANG...one wheel fell apart.

Cheers

Timbo

Attachments

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Personally I have never heard of steel wheels cracking. In the days when I was modifying Beetles it was standard practise to have your steel wheels widened. They cut the centres out and welded them into new wide rims. The buggy guys used to get 8" or 10" wheels made up. Factory steels are welded together after all. I don't think there would be a problem if you got Mullins Wheels or Adelaide Wheel and Rim to make them up, because they have been doing it for donkey's years.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
as long as a reputable shop built the wheels youve got nothing to worry about PERIOD..actualy id be more worried about "production stock" steel wheel over a modified wheel....most production lines are quantity over quality

ive seen a few aluminum as well as steel crack when not done by a quality shop

only thing i dont see on your wheels in the pic is a inner bead edge..useualy a "dip" in the ring

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
What I'd been lead to believe is the issue is the rims cracking between the boltholes, and reputedly some variants of the factory steelie are worse than others. The extra width just agravates this.

·
Richard Jemison
7,186 Posts
Widened Wheels

What I'd been lead to believe is the issue is the rims cracking between the boltholes, and reputedly some variants of the factory steelie are worse than others. The extra width just agravates this.

I agree that some centers are weaker...But 7 inch wheels made with Giulietta/Giulia Borrani centers are wonderful visually. And easy to build.

15 inch shells of varying widths are available from speed shops in the US.
Rj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts