Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this should probably be a poll, but I need some advice on the best combination of pieces for my exhaust system. I currently have the IAP header with a cut up stock cat bolted to a standard mid-muffler and a Ansa end muffler.

The Stebro comes with the muffler, mid-muffler and a test pipe that would connect to a stock manifold. So here are the combinations I could do.

1. Keep the current header and bastardized cat then just bolt on the Stebro mid muffler and end muffler.

2. Keep the current header, cut and weld on a new cat, then bolt on the mid and end muffler.

3. Replace the header with a stock manifold and use the entire Stebro kit, then hope I pass inspection in a year. If not, just swap out the stock cat every year.

4. Replace the header with a stock manifold, buy a replacement stock cat and bolt on the stebro mid and rear muffler.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Premium Member
21,355 Posts
What kind of driving do you do? And what are your smog/inspection requirements?

For normal use, I'd go with the stock headers and the Stebro all the way back. For high rpm and track use, I'd use the tube header with the Stebro.

If you have smog checks, you'll need the cat, right?

I have a Stebro on my 308 GT4 and am happy with its quality, fit, performance, and sound.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I moved to Virginia, so I have an emission inspection every year... I don't race this car, but I do drive hard..

I have high hopes for this exhaust system..

·
Premium Member
21,355 Posts
Tube headers are likely to be a benefit only above about 5000 rpm; stock headers give more torque and HP below that.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Which "stock manifold" do you have in mind? The stock 4-1 one on Jetronic Spiders are quite restrictive. If you decide to get rid of the IAP header (which is not great but still better than the 4-1 one IMHO), I think you should go with the early 2-piece one or the one from the Motronic Spiders. We installed the 105 style stock manifold (and an aftermarket cat) on my mother's '84 with great results!!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine originally came with the Jetronic one which cracked so I installed the header. The IAP header is great now that I got the rubbing issue solved.

I was under the impression that the earlier ones and the motronic ones won't fit on an 88 or that they won't line up with the exhaust system. Is that incorrect?

Ed

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
On my mother's 84, we used the front downpipe from pre-Bosch car and welded a flange to the tail end of it for a bolt-on aftermarket cat. If you are satisfied with the current IAP header, I'd go with the choice #2. With a brand new universal free flow cat, restriction is virtually negligible and you won't have to worry about annual inspection.

Mine originally came with the Jetronic one which cracked so I installed the header. The IAP header is great now that I got the rubbing issue solved.

I was under the impression that the earlier ones and the motronic ones won't fit on an 88 or that they won't line up with the exhaust system. Is that incorrect?

Ed

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just a quick FYI: I had Stebro tailpiece for the Spider (have on on my 164 too) and it was about 2-3 inches short of stock... maybe not a problem with non-Quad Spiders, but on my Quad, it got hooked behind the body cladding and the China-Syndrome took place on a small scale on the cladding :(

Had to go back to stock... wish I didn't since it sounded great.

·
Registered
532 Posts
On my '87 Spider I'm using an old set of pre-'75 manifolds, and a pre-'75 stock Cisam exhaust all the way back. The improvement was quite staggering, and while the '87 still won't pull to redline like my '74 Spica Spider will, driveability (meaning throttle response) has really gotten so much better. All I had to do was weld an O2 sensor bung into the system just past the Y from the downpipes, but I did that on my '74, too, so I can use an air/fuel ratio meter in the circuit. Of course, no inspections here in FL, so I've got a little more leeway than you have in VA, but for the difference in performance, I might keep a cat exhaust system in the garage to bolt on just for inspections.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ed, Keep th header, Make up 2 exhaust systems, one with cat and mufflers for emissions, one with only 1 muffler and use a stinger rear pipe for that true alfa sound.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Actually it sounded like a normal Honda Civic and then it sounded like he had no exhaust system at all, not a good sound for a Civic. Then he clicked it back and for a minute I thought he had cut his engine off because of a broken exhaust system, so I was convinced something broke. To my surprise, the light turned green and he took off..

Personally, if you are going to do that exhaust mod, you should do something like the guy in the photo. At least he had spark plugs in the pipes so he blew big flames out of the top. Quite the show...

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
My $.02

Keep everything you have and lose the rear muffler. Much better sound, but nobody is going to confuse you with a ricer.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep everything you have and lose the rear muffler. Much better sound, but nobody is going to confuse you with a ricer.
Very true...

However I have issues with my current setup, so I have to change something. The Stebro was one of those "make an offer" on ebay and they accepted it.. I really didn't expect that because I made a similar offer the previous time and it was rejected.

Now I am just waiting for it to show up...

Ed

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I am driving around with combo #1... Wow the Stebro is nice!

When I first got it, I wasn't too thrilled with the fit and finish, but after a closer look and some wiping off it is nice. The major difference is that the center muffler is about 1/2 the size and weight of the stock. It also mounts further away from the body so I don't have a hot floor anymore. The rear muffler is a little smaller, but not a huge weight difference.

The sound is GREAT, probably a bit on the loud side, but I love it. I will try to post some photos and video with sound this weekend.

Ed

·
Premium Member
21,355 Posts
The stock system on my 308 (including thermal reactor) weighed 100 pounds. The Stebro weighs 35.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 20 Posts