Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making plans for possibly attending the proposed National Convention that is being mentioned for 2013. The last I heard/read involved preliminary planning with the AROC Diablo/Sacramento Club joining with ARA to sponsor it. The last I also heard was the proposed 2012 event was cancelled for lack of club involvement/sponsorship.

It does take a lot of effort, organizing, and arranging so I do hope this event can take place as being proposed. Would appreciate any information since I will be working up my car for possible attendance.

Steve N Sandy Hurt
ARA Member (both real old ones 1970-80's; currently fron 2009)

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Status of AROC Convention in San Francisco/Bay Area

I am making plans for possibly attending the proposed National Convention that is being mentioned for 2013. The last I heard/read involved preliminary planning with the AROC Diablo/Sacramento Club joining with ARA to sponsor it. The last I also heard was the proposed 2012 event was cancelled for lack of club involvement/sponsorship.

It does take a lot of effort, organizing, and arranging so I do hope this event can take place as being proposed. Would appreciate any information since I will be working up my car for possible attendance.

Steve N Sandy Hurt
ARA Member (both real old ones 1970-80's; currently fron 2009)
I don't have any accurate information about the San Francisco/ARA suggestion of a proposal for 2013 or its stage of progress, other than unconfirmed scuttle-butt. However, the information that the 2012 AROC Convention has been cancelled is in error unless it happened within the last couple of weeks. The last I heard was that it was probably going to be held in Toronto and they were trying to involve a joint FIAT gathering with it.

I will defer to someone working on either proposal, but it is premature, and at this point, incorrect to state that the 2012 convention has been cancelled.

·
Push hard and live
9,613 Posts
Not being a club joiner, I wasn't aware there was an event possible in the SF area. I'll have my 102 done by 2011, and a drive over to the bay area would be just about right in 2012. By 2013 I hope to be living in another country. Oh well.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Status of AROC Convention in San Francisco/Bay Area

Not being a club joiner, I wasn't aware there was an event possible in the SF area. I'll have my 102 done by 2011, and a drive over to the bay area would be just about right in 2012. By 2013 I hope to be living in another country. Oh well.
AROC Conventions:

2011 Lexington, Kentucky
2012 Probably Toronto, Canada
2013 Possible San Francisco/ARA, California joint venture

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Northern California has many Alfisti that are members of both Delta Sierra and ARA. AROC asked us if we would consider doing the convention in 2012. We decided that we could not do 2012 in the short time frame. However, we are preparing a proposal for 2013, but we a just in the planning stage.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As you move along and may need some help, please give me a call. I live in Flagstaff most of the time but am in the Bay Area (lived in Santa Clara for forty-one years and got my taste for Alfa there; Thanks, Charlie Hood. There may be something I can do such as constantly talking up the National Convention with people I know - in other words, getting the message out and reinforcing it as the event develops and comes to maturity.

I still belong to other clubs (Golden Gate Lotus, PCA Zone 7, and ARA) and I am finding out a lot of those members are old "Alfistis').

I agree that San Francisco Bay Area is a great place for a possible National Convention.

Keep up the excellent work and lets see what develops for both 2012 and 2013.

Steve N Sandy Hurt

·
Registered
298 Posts
Do not want to steal the host's announcement, but let's put this rumor to rest: there will be a 2012 convention, and ARCC-Toronto region submitted their detailed, formal proposal and budget on schedule. It has received favorable reviews, and official word should come shortly.
ARA announced their intent to jointly host the 2013 convention with Delta Sierra AROC in the September issue of Overheard Cams.
Both the ARA and ARCC joint conventions, a simultaneous national convention with Fiat-Lancia Unlimited (FLU), and working relationship/network between all Italian car clubs, are among things I would like to 'get done' before my term as president expires at the Lexington convention on 2011. I do not plan to accept any nomination for a second term as president, so there is much to do in a short time.

Dave

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The same offer i made concerning the 2013 convention goes for the 2012 convention.. You are right in making this point and we need to get the movement behind the 2012 activities. Anyway I am going to be talking up the conventions for whatever period(s) are planned. I think Alfa offers more auto, racing and historic information than other autos, at least, it what I enjoy.

Thanks for all the information.

Steve N Sandy Hurt

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
As the VP-Elect of the ARA, I couldn't commit to announcing that the 2013 SF/BA convention is a go, yet. There remains a great deal of discussion to be conducted, responsibilities doled out between the two clubs, and volunteers recruited. I would however say that interest amongst club leadership is very high, with the core teams possibly already in place.

The ARA will have its regular monthly club meeting on December 1st at Ricky's Sports Theatre in San Leandro, CA, and the Convention will be one of the most important topics to be discussed. The discussion will focus primarily on our progress in lining up racing/autocross venues - we're targeting Infineon Raceway (previously Sears Pt. Intl. Raceway) in Sonoma, CA. Like to drink and race? There's an impressive winery right across from the track.

For those who prefer non-competitive activities, we will be sure to have plenty of coastal scenic tours, along with great foods.

I'll update and confirm as we decide more. In the meanwhile, we will need to attempt putting together a volunteer team if this is to go forward smoothly; if anyone is interested locally, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
National Convention

Anyone wondering what the status is should log onto Home after Jan 15th and open the January Cams from the website and read meeting minute. Our board will meet in February to decide ARA commitment (looks promising) and present to membership (you should join ARA!!) for a final vote in March.
Jim Filice
President ARA of Northern California
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts