Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out this problem for a while now. The car will start run rough sputter and die or if I give a lot of throttle it will sputter at 1k rpm then rev to the moon or die. As for as I can tell spica is timed right, #4 tdc turned counterclockwise to I mark, and the 2 marks on the spica line up as well. Could this be distributer timing problems? I'm very tired of fighting to keep this car running I'm tempted to put the car up for sale as is if I can't figure this out.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,166 Posts
I'm very tired of fighting to keep this car running I'm tempted to put the car up for sale as is if I can't figure this out.
I feel your pain. If I lived near a cliff, I certainly would have pushed my car over a long time ago.

I think you will get pointed to the Ingram Enterprises website to DL the two SPICA manuals. They are at the bottom of the page.

That's all of the help I can offer as my car is sitting in my garage some sort of issue I can't figure out.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You can always get that adapter kit and run carbs if you feel your spica pump is bad to get you on the road.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd start with the fuel filter(s).

My gas tank was bad and was "shedding" rust, which actually clogged up the outlet. I went to change the filter and realized that there wasn't nearly enough gasoline gushing out of the hose from the bottom of the tank as there should have been.

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd start with the fuel filter(s).

My gas tank was bad and was "shedding" rust, which actually clogged up the outlet. I went to change the filter and realized that there wasn't nearly enough gasoline gushing out of the hose from the bottom of the tank as there should have been.
I've replaced the fuel tank and both fuel filters and all the soft lines and it has a newer fuel pump. I can open the bleeder and see if it has good fuel pressure. but I'm not getting a low fuel pressure light. I really don't want to invest the money into carb swapping as I want to sell the car soon.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Has it always been like this for your entire ownership?
90% of spica problems are ignition. Does your low fuel pressure light work correctly? If both those are perfect it’s pretty straight forward to run through the spica setup process.

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has it always been like this for your entire ownership?
90% of spica problems are ignition. Does your low fuel pressure light work correctly? If both those are perfect it’s pretty straight forward to run through the spica setup process.
I don't know about the ignition. The low fuel pressure light works. Flashes on for a second then turns off when I turn the key over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts