Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to the forums as I just recently purchased a 1986 Spider Veloce. I love the car but it has an intemittant starting problem which has turned permanent. When I turn the key, if all the dash warning lights come on I know she will start flawlessly. If I turn the key and the dash warning lights do not come on, she'll always crank but not start. When that happens, turning the key "on" and "off" will eventually get the warning lights to come on and she'll start (until this morning). I am thinking that I had a loose connection somewhere that has now come completely detached but I do not know where to start looking - the instrument cluster, under the dash, etc? The battery seems to be working fine and the connections are clean. Thanks and I appreciate any help!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Do you think it might be the key mechanism? You can hot wire it to test- use the search feature and look for hot wire...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
Sure sounds like a bad ignition switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're right - bad ignition switch. Is that a relatively simple change or does the entire steering column need to come off? The video on IAP made it look fairly simple? Again, thanks for any input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts