Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Alfa 90 got a new fuel pump just a few months agoand I've put maybe put 50 miles on it since.

Now it won't start at all and every time I try, I keep killing the battery.........

I suspect fuel is not getting to the injectors..........is there anyway to test this with starting fluid with these fuel systems?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, battery is fully charged and even hook up the battery charger on full start mode as to not kill the battery

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hmm, ok. The only times mine wouldnt start is after it sat for a week before I changed the plug wires (once I did it started right away), and if the battery was low.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I would check the spark first, since it is easy and full proof, pull a plug, attach the lead/plug wire, ground the plug and turn the engine over, if you get good spark, then chances are it is fuel related.

You can use starter fluid to try and crank it, pull one of the hoses to the plenum and spray it in the plenum and then re-connect the hose, the try and start it, but be quick about it.

If you have spark chances are it will want to start on the starter fluid, but won't run. If it is fuel related, check the fuse and the wires to the fuel pump, possibly one is not tight.

·
Premium Member
27,291 Posts
If you can start car using starting fluid then your cold start injector system not working if engine has the L-jetronic fuel injection.

Chances are your thermo time switch sensor or wiring to it or blue cold start injector has an issue.

Thermo time switch is in mid thermostat housing under top radiator hose connection and faces air cleaner side of car. It is a brown connector.

You can remove connector and insert a jumper between two terminals in it and try to start engine and see if that helps if so switch is probably bad if no go then maybe blue cold start injector on intake is not working. If you remove two allen head screws you can remove injector and try applying 12v to red wire side of it and ground other side and see if it will spray fuel.

Report your findings.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well first off , thanks to all of you for replying, I appreciate all the help.......

The problem is with my 90, this has the 2.0 V6 and I belive it is the SPICA system.

This was the original problem:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/carburetors-fuel-injection/175096-alfa-90-2-0v6-cold-start-idle-problems.html

Then I took it to a shop where some work was performed.......including a new fuel pump and new plugs, and I belive a used fuel pressure regulator, since a new replacement one for this 90 could not be located, so the shop opted to go with a used Milano regulator until I could locate a new 90 one.

After about a $1,200 bill, and several months, I picked up the car, and it was still doing the low idle/high idle problem, but at least now, it went away less than a minute from first starting the car.........still hard starting but at least it ran better once it had been running over a minute

Then a few weeks later, it took awhile to start it, and when I drove the car, it hesitated badly..................

few more weeks went by, and I needed to move it out of the way so I could tow out another one of my cars, and could not get her started at all.................so here I am, maybe 50 miles after laying out $1,200 ......and can't enjoy driving
her..............

Then this became the problem:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1987-1989/175092-car-wont-start.html

So my next attempt was to try the starting fluid, see if it is the fuel, and maybe the new pump went already?????? But with so much going on right now, construction, and a new little Alfista on the way, so hard to spend some time on the car....I just want to drive it..........

With the good weather here now, I think I will check for spark.....and then try the startign fuel.......but I have been considering the cold start injector as a possible problem......and with steve bringing it up, now I have to find out where it is exactly on this system......

·
Premium Member
27,291 Posts
Can't believe you have a V6 with a Spica system. You probably have L-jetronic Bosch electronic fuel injection.

Not familiar with the 90 but I doubt it had Bosch Motronic fuel injection either.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
The fuel system schematic in the 1/86 Alfa 90 owners manual appears to be that of a Motronic system. Clues are a single ECU for both the fuel and ignition systems plus an ECU diagnostic connector.
If so, and if an Alfa 90 service manual is not available, then it may be possible that a Motronic Spider service manual could be used as a guide.

A quick check shows that the Verde and Alfa 90 fuel pressure regulators operate in the same pressure range.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some of the write ups I found about this car suggest it is a CEM-SPICA system. Basically it is the same system as the Montreal, and in matter of fact, they claim it has even the same injectors.

This car was designed way before the Milano/75 V6s were, and therefore went with whatever V6 system Alfa had on the books at the time.

I don't belive there were other Alfas, except for the all mighty Alfa 6, available with a V6 under the hood.

But I will tro to confirm that.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
After poking around a bit, this Italian market only 2.0l V6 engine was indeed fitted with electronic fuel injection (not Spica). Marelli may have been the EFI supplier (the 'M' in CEM perhaps?)
I'd think that basic system diagnostics could be performed by someone who knows their way around EFI but system specifics, like sensor values, wiring, etc would probably require a service manual.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Most of the literature on the car does mention SPICA, so I don't know if it uses parts from a spica system and a C.E.M. system.

Alfa was not a big Marelli customer in the 80's due to the ownership by FIAT.

I am leaning to see if I can covert this to a Milano system.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Can you post a pic of the engine? In particular, a closeup of the area between the cylinder heads that shows the injectors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts