Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a starting problem I am sure some one has incurred and solved. The car does start but does not start with any "authority". What I mean by this is it starts most of the time but seems to have a marginal idle/start rpm. Once it starts, the car assumes normal operation; it does start the same way when the engine is warm.

Need some general direction on what to look for in determining probable cause. Not a problem, but I want the car to start better both cold and warm. The problem is the way the car starts both cold and hot; starts below normal idle rpm and then moves up to run at proper rpm (idle and power). Do not know what to call this and I know I am not specific enough in the description.

Any suggestions?

Background: everything has been checked for air leaks, proper fuel flow, sensors, coil, second ECM, etc. I have used L-Jetronics book from Greg Twice and have replaced vacuum hoses, relay, etc. Everything has been done except doing the tracing to fix the low starting problem. It is not the "Starting Syndrome". i have even used a manual auxiliary air valve for troubleshooting purposes. Still the same "weak starting". Starts low and then moves to proper running idle rpm.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
'87 Spider starting problem

Steve,

I have an '87 Veloce with the same problem, until I replaced the idle adjustment o-ring. After installing the new "o-ring" and making the adjustment to an idle speed of 950 rpms, the problem went away.

I put "o-ring" in quotes because I used a size "0" beveled washer from Lowe's, which I drilled out with a 7/32 bit. You could probably go a little larger on the center hole, as my "o-ring" only requires minimum pressure to keep the rpms down to the desired level.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts