Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, and thanks ahead of time for your time and consideration.

I leave my 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Quad in the garage during winter here in the Pacific Northwest. It has not been started since October 2019.

Yesterday, after I trickle-charged my battery, I tried starting the car and it turned over but would not start. I don't want to wear out the starter motor.

Does anyone have any advice about starting this car?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
my first check would be for spark.
if no spark, then test cranking voltage (10,5-11V whilst cranking, or the computor doesn't work)
if cranking voltage ok, then test the flywheel sensors.

if you do have spark, otoh, then you need to look at fuel delivery
I'd jumper the fuel pump relay between pin #30 & #87 (to bypass the relay, fuel pumps should work continuously)
check 8A fuel fuse and fuse holder.
[both fuel relay and fuel fuse are under rear shelf near computor)

let us know

·
Registered
57 Posts
You might also want to check if your fuel has gone bad. Take of the fuel cap and smell. If it smells like rotten eggs it has gone bad.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I second the above mentioned, check battery voltage because if the voltage falls below a certain point the computer will not fire.
Check and see if spark is coming out of the plug leads.
Make sure you have fuel reaching the engine, sometimes fuel pumps don’t like to wake up after a long break. Sometimes fuel filters gum up after sitting also, which is something to consider.
Did it sound like it was trying to fire and wouldn’t catch? Or just cranking

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let us know what you have determined to be the issue.
Thanks Everyone—The next day—my Spider started up right away after trickle charging for a couple of hours. I took it for a 45 minute drive on a beautiful spring day in Portland.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
a nice positive and easy outcome:)
(in these difficult days)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts