Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi All,

Any pointers on how to access to remove the starter? Can it be done just on a jack or will i need to get some ramps/stands? Ive tried to get to it on a trolley jack but struggling to get in there to access the bolts. Looks very difficult to access from above also.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I've revived 2 Milanos that had been sitting for years, a bit ;longer than your's, but they both have had similar issues to sort out:
1) fuel injectors--Both car required some of the fuel injectors to be replaced. First car was running rough on 3 or 4 cylinders. Eventually I needed 2 new injectors as the old ones wouldn't come back to life. Second car needed a single injector. You can tell which injectors aren't firing by starting the engine from cold and feeling each of the exhaust manifold pipes where they bolt to the head. Obviously the cylinders firing will heat up while the ones with faulty injectors won't ay first. And be careful as they do heat up fast.

2) fuel pump--Bosch fuel pumps don't like to sit but replacement pumps are finally available for as cheap as $40 which is much nicer than the $130 they used to run. These are Korean copies of the Bosch pump but from what I've read, they are reliable with good reviews.

3) hydraulics--both cars needed at least part of the brake/clutch system replaced, from leaking calipers to leaking slave cylinder to failed master cylinders. Even if none of the cylinders are causing problems once you get it running, be warned that they will quickly begin to.
3b) While you're in at the slave cylinder, make sure you inspect and grease the clutch fork (all contact areas) and funky ball joint bolt. On one car, my bolt broke (no fun) and on the other the clutch was very stiff.

4) countless electrical or random problems--could be anything...enjoy!

Good luck on the starting issue; not sure about that. I did have a starter fail but it was pretty chewed up inside as one of the bearings completely failed which caused the armature to grind into the outer parts. I found a cheapo replacement on amazon. And, yes, they are a pain to get to....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi All,

After a bit of a lull i am back to it. Ive got the exhaust and manifolds off. Ive tried to interpret the steps in the link above but cant for the life of me work out how to undo the two bolts on the starter motor. Firstly, can someone just confirm it is the top bolt clouded in the below pic? Secondly, how do you get to it when a socket will barely fit on this, let alone the other bolt.

Thanks all.

Brian

·
Registered
128 Posts
I usually attack those from the other side, and use a flat blade screwdriver to jam the nut enough to hold it still.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts