Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a difference in how my 1995Q starts when compared against the 1994Q that I just acquired. The 95 starts with out an issue but it takes about 3 turns of the key to get it to fire off. Today after the 1994Q had been sitting for 2 weeks, I wanted to move it. I turned the key expecting the car to start like my 95-it didn't. The car started on the first turn of the key, it started so fast!
The fuel hose in the filter was replaced 2 years ago, so that isn't an issue. The car has new plugs with 3,000 miles on them.
If I am guessing right, I think I have a fuel pressure bleed off from the fuel rail, so I have to crank several times to get enough fuel pressure up. Do I need a new fuel pressure regulator? Any other suggestions on how to make my 95 fire on the first turn of the key?

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Plumb in a fuel pressure gauge and see whether this issue is indeed different between the two cars. If the fuel pressure is the same, then you have to look elsewhere for the key to prompt starting. I'm sure if you find it, everyone will be interested.

Michael

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Does it start any better when you give it a blip of the throttle? The fuel pressure regulator will increase fuel pressure by 5-10 psi when you open the throttle kind of acting like an accelerator pump on a carburetor. Which may tell you that you don't have quite enough fuel pressure under some or all circumstances.
Charles

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, yes...it will start better when I crack the throttle. Taking your suggestion, and my guess, I am thinking it wouldn't hurt to change out the fuel pressure regulator. It isn't that expensive and most likely the original one. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plumb in a fuel pressure gauge and see whether this issue is indeed different between the two cars. If the fuel pressure is the same, then you have to look elsewhere for the key to prompt starting. I'm sure if you find it, everyone will be interested.

Michael
I am thinking that I would plumb in the guage on the "before" side of the regulator. It would be interesting to note the differences. It is very obvious the difference in the two cars. The 94 has all service records and maintainence from Maserati of Seattle. My 1995 came to me with very little maintenance from a dealer for the last 3 years. This is also why I found alot of problems that needed attention when I got the car (of course they are all resolved).
The 1994 starts first turn of the key and the 1995 starts on the 3rd crank and usually a long crank. Hence my question of why the difference.
The other difference I was thinking about was the sensor in the thermostat with the two wires. There is also the question of cam timing as I am wondering if one cam has jumped a tooth as there is a difference in performance and how smooth the idle is.
You really don't know about a car until you compare it to another one just like it. Since there are so few of these, I was happy until the 94Q came along.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Ah, lenard's Q, I drove it from san diego to sacramento when we went to pick up a recaro s, that car drives very nice! Got back into my L after the trip and wished I was driving that Q by the time I got down the block. Wish he would have kept it.

·
Premium Member
26,996 Posts
All else being equal cam timing if off will affect how easy car starts. Myron's was very hard to start without pushing accelerator with rear intake cam advanced two teeth but starts right now without touch accelerator after we redid timing using timing dies.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
If the timing is spot on, I don't think replacing the pressure regulator is a bad place go next. Would cost about the same, just to have a tech begin to make a diagnosis for the price of a new P/R and like you said, it's probably the original and getting old anyway. If the car runs at all, you know the pump is good, the short hose, you said was taken care of and check valves seldom go bad.
Charles

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Ah, lenard's Q, I drove it from san diego to sacramento when we went to pick up a recaro s, that car drives very nice! Got back into my L after the trip and wished I was driving that Q by the time I got down the block. Wish he would have kept it.
Jon worry not the black Q will be replaced soon by another black Q but 4x4 6 speed and Recaro int!

I do miss it though. I drove the new LS back from the bay area and no comparison even with 90k less miles.

Back on the subject Chris thats what all $15++K in receipts were for. Maserati of Seattle did do a good job on that car unlike the one they just sold and got back.

Keep us posted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts