Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I experienced the same issue with my 164Q this evening. This time I was just showing the car to a friend. I tried to start the car and the key would turn, but the engine would not start. I noticed a small rectangular red light in the instrument panel above the top of the car diagram blinking once a second or so. The owner's manual stated that this indicates that the antitheft system in active. I do not know how it became active. I did not receive a remote transmitter with the car. The PO told me that he did not get the remote with the vehicle (and he was the original owner). I did notice this light blinking when driving the car a few days ago, but did not think much of it then. After a closing and locking the vehicle and opening and closing the trunk lid a couple of times the car did start. It started like normal with no indication of a problem. I turned the motor off and was able to restart the car two more times without issue. On the third try it would not start again. I can't figure out what is exactly going on. Previously, I had been able to start the car up without an issue about ten times over the last couple of weeks. I'd appreciate any help with this issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Steve, I'd like try that wire mod that bypasses the antitheft circuitry. Do you have any pictures or drawings of the mod? My 164 has been starting more times than not lately, but I still would like to try the mod. Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, it's a 1995 24v 164Q. Turning the key and engine not starting means the starter does not turn engine over. It is strange. I can turn the key and the engine starts fine. I'll turn the engine off then turn the key again and the engine will not start (starter does not turn engine over). During all of this I see the narrow red light blinking once a second (anti-theft system is active). I wish I knew a way to disable the anti-theft system. Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes. I'd like to give that a try. Do you have any pictures or drawings of the mod? If not, that's okay. I'll take a look in the service manual and look in the car at the ignition switch and starter relay and post any questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Question about adding wire

My 164Q was starting up regularly until the last couple of days and I am now more motivated to incorporate Steve's fix to bypass the anti-theft system. I lowered fuse panel door and found ignition switch connector and the black wire that needs to be removed from connector (red arrow on first pic). I could not find the purple and black wire at the base of the I10 starter relay. I found a purple wire at the base of what I think is the I10 starter relay, but I'm not sure if this is wire that needs to be jumpered to the black wire. I have attached second pic showing 2 relays by the ignition switch connector. I believe the I10 starter relay is the one on the left. Steve: Can you confirm if the purple wire is the correct wire to jumper to the black ignition switch connector wire? Thanks.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.