Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,463 Posts

·
28,463 Posts
Steve, I'd like try that wire mod that bypasses the antitheft circuitry. Do you have any pictures or drawings of the mod? My 164 has been starting more times than not lately, but I still would like to try the mod. Thanks.
OK, let's get some more info so verify this info please:

Your car is 164Q 24v 94-95?

Turning key and engine not starting means to you starter does not turn engine over?

Or starter turns engine over but engine does not start?

·
28,463 Posts
Yes, it's a 1995 24v 164Q. Turning the key and engine not starting means the starter does not turn engine over. It is strange. I can turn the key and the engine starts fine. I'll turn the engine off then turn the key again and the engine will not start (starter does not turn engine over). During all of this I see the narrow red light blinking once a second (anti-theft system is active). I wish I knew a way to disable the anti-theft system. Thanks.
I suggest you do what I did on Myron's 95LS and run a new wire from black starter wire coming from ignition switch to purple-black wire going to pin 86 of starter relay.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/913110-post1.html. Open fuse panel door, locate ignition switch connector, disconnect connector, bend locking blade on black wire, remove black wire from connector. Now locate I10 starter relay in group of relays to right and above ignition switch wiring connector iunder dash (above and right of driver's knee area. relay may have red stripe on it or be just say BOSCH with part number ending in 112.

These pictures are from 91 164B but 94-95 very similiar and relay should be top one in batch and you only need about 6" of wire a female terminal to slip on black wire spade and a wire butt splice to crimp onto purple-black wire at base of relay to attach new wire. Or you can just use a connector to pierce purple-black wire at relay and clamp on new wire.

I just have alligater clip black wire in pix to show you two wires. reconnect connector to switch with black out side connector.

Attachments

·
28,463 Posts
Yes. I'd like to give that a try. Do you have any pictures or drawings of the mod? If not, that's okay. I'll take a look in the service manual and look in the car at the ignition switch and starter relay and post any questions. Thanks.
See pix I posted above.

·
28,463 Posts
My 164Q was starting up regularly until the last couple of days and I am now more motivated to incorporate Steve's fix to bypass the anti-theft system. I lowered fuse panel door and found ignition switch connector and the black wire that needs to be removed from connector (red arrow on first pic). I could not find the purple and black wire at the base of the I10 starter relay. I found a purple wire at the base of what I think is the I10 starter relay, but I'm not sure if this is wire that needs to be jumpered to the black wire. I have attached second pic showing 2 relays by the ignition switch connector. I believe the I10 starter relay is the one on the left. Steve: Can you confirm if the purple wire is the correct wire to jumper to the black ignition switch connector wire? Thanks.
Yes it is purple wire to pin socket 86 of starter relay holder. The purple-black wire is what should be hooked to that black wire in ignition switch connector.

It goes to anti theft unit and purple wire leaves anti theft unit and goes to I10 relay pin 86.

Guess I need to correct that in write up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.