Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a pretty solid and complete '69 roundtail. The plan is to (a) make a plan and (b) stick to the plan. The car ran and drove when we took possession but will need a lot.

• Complete body and paint work (solid but typical rocker rot, missing nose crease). Bedliner the underside.
  • Engine rebuild.
  • Transmission feels good and hopefully will need little.
  • Powdercoat and rebush the suspension.
  • Rebuild the steering box.
  • New seat upholstery.
  • New top.
  • Not sure what I'm going to do with the dash yet.
  • SPICA is in fine shape and won't need anything.
  • Rebuild the hydraulics.
  • Polish Stainless.
The challenge will be to be on time and within budget. Can I do it? Stay tuned...

Day One:
IMAG1300.jpg

Day Two:
IMAG1375.jpg

IMAG1376.jpg

IMAG1377.jpg

Someday...
'69 Spider with 15x7 Rotas.jpg

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Subscribed. We finished our boat tail restoration about a year ago, took us about three years to do it. Looks like a very good one to start with. A professional restoration of the dash will be expensive- only one place left in the USA that restores them (Just Dashes), so no competition= over a thousand dollars for all three pieces. Good news is they do good work.
Classic Alfa in the UK is a good source for round tail parts.
Keep the progress pictures coming!

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Day Three: The motor is coming out...

IMAG1385.jpg

We'll pull the motor on the floor and then move the shell to the hoist to strip the suspension.

From the home office:

"According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1480271 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce USA (105.62), manufactured on the 14th January 1969 and sold on the 21st January 1969 to Alfa Romeo USA, Newark.
The body colour is ivory, with black skai interiors. "

Interesting, this car is red all over. I asked Marco to double check but he said the records are clear - it's Ivory. So Ivory it is. I may cheat though and change to Amaranth interior. I just think that's a killer combination.

Also: Somewhere in this Video is an Alfa. I haven't found it yet...

·
Registered
298 Posts
subscribed. I have a white 69 as in the video. I have had the same problem with Alfa Storico records about my 57 Sprint. They tell me it is blue, but all I can find is red, no matter how deep I dig.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Alfa

Dash Specialties in Medford, Oregon also does vinyl dash tops
they did my 1969 GTV for $900 + shipping.
I don't have their address available but you can google them.
They do a lot of Rods and Muscle cars.
Very happy with their work
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi from Aus

Hi mate good to see another car being saved. Looks like a nice car to start with and I will be watching with interest.:thumbup: I have a project of my own going but life has got in the way in the last couple of years. Cheers and merry Christmass.

·
Super Moderator
10,634 Posts
For some odd reason, pretty much every roundtail has been smacked in the rear. My trunk lid looks like that under the filler & paint.

Those tail lights are artistic, but obviously drivers didn't notice the brake lights within them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just for some variation the PO of my Car (pre 1977) reversed (at speed) into a tree.

Fortunately I was able to pay an arm and a leg for a new old stock lid.

I kept the old lid (I never throw anything away) which I'll get repaired using the pair of upper and lower repair panels which I've now bought.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Day 6:

A little more due diligence. Repair to the forward quarter and rust on the rear quarter. Nothing extreme. Actually the repair on the forward rocker looks to be decent - we'll decide what to do in the next week or so.

IMAG1505.jpg

IMAG1429.jpg

The dash is in pretty tough shape. It actually looks worse as what's on there is old contact cement - the PO had glued vinyl to the original surface. But there are plenty of cracks. I decided to swallow hard and send it Just Dashes but when I called I found out I'm probably looking at 4-5 months lead time. So we're going to try the bedliner repair. I figure if it doesn't work out I'll just send it out and wait...

IMAG1506.jpg

I've not seen this before: The gusset on the passenger side of the radiator is Swiss cheese. My last Duetto was built a year after this one and it had nothing like this. Perhaps it was removed in the later stages of production. Anyway, I assume it is to allow some cold air for the intake:

IMAG1486.jpg

With pretty much everything stripped from the shell, we'll go through and send out most of this for bulk grit blasting and then powder coat it black. All the fastners go to a plating shop down the road to be cleaned and zinc plated (it's great to be in an area where so many mechanical services are within a few miles). Missing from the picture is another bin with primarily interior pieces, top and trim and then the motor itself. There is something sobering when you reduce these cars to a couple pile of parts...

Speaking of motors, Corrigan Racing is going to rebuild the 1750 for me. They picked up the block Saturday. We do our own motors here too but this frees us up to get a few other projects out of the way.

IMAG1507.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
Swiss cheese thing is correct. My 69 has it.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Wow you are moving out. Keep it up, momentum is everything. WRT your dash- many things on the car you will only view briefly as you approach and climb into the car, but the dash is constantly in your primary field of view for each and every drive. Send the dash out for a proper restoration- you won't be ready to re-install it in five months anyway, and a bed liner spray job looks like, well, a bed liner spray job.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That's good advice. My automatic had a cracked dash, which I repaired. It didn't look terrible but it didn't look good either, and it did grate on me every time I drove.
I found an immaculate s/h one and installed that instead. It is soooo much better to look at!

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
I couldn't tell from the picture showing the exhaust. The front support bracket that attaches to the trans is different from the hanging pedal cars. All the replacement exhaust I've seen for the floor pedal cars have the hanging pedal bracket on them. So hang on to yours as you might be able to cut it off and use it. Like I did for my 69 berlina or you can use it as a pattern to make a new one to weld on.

Picture is of a cisam one piece on my 69 boattail.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 155 Posts