Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
"Wife helping to push" is generally not a good thing.

Best of luck with the starter
Well, he probably doesn't want the engine to rotate with the timing chain off. Agree about the wife helping to push part though. I usually try to figure out a way to use a come-along somewhere on the undercarriage to get a non-running car on ramps.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Ive used jacks and chocks to get a car up on ramps. Chock the back, lift the front high enough, slide the ramps in where you want them, lower the jacks.

You got off easy with it being a rag! There are much worse mistakes to make

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’ve pushed the car on ramps before and used a jack and stands to slide them under the car. I’m hesitant to use the jack and stands because of the rusty rockers which will be addressed as soon as the engine runs properly.
Anyway, I just got under the car as is, drained the oil, and pulled the lower pan. Look what we found. For the record from a previous post, there’s no tensioner wedge in there from the PO.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,093 Posts
Its probably hiding somewhere... glad you got the rag out! Inspect everything well and take your time setting your cam timing..... you were fortunate the first time!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
...he left you a screwdriver though:)
What you see is the previously referenced hook tool that I dropped into the sump 😁

Got the piston timing at TDC and the cam marks lined up too. I’ve just got to get the chain back on the bottom sprocket, put the oil pan back on with a new gasket (PO didn’t have a gasket FYI), fill her with oil, and try to start her again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sump is back on and is full of fresh oil, battery charged, grounds checked, pushed in 4th through 3 full revolutions without issue. Tried to start her up last night, engine cranks without issue but does not fire. I checked the plugs, and they're sparking. Put some starter fluid in the air box, got one little blip and a flame, but doesn't start.

The spark plugs seem to be very dry to me. There is a smell of gas, but barely any liquid shows on a rag when I've cleaned the plugs. The CSS is at 1/4 inch above the SPICA pump. I adjusted the FCS which seemed to be a half turn lean/deep. It is now exactly at 9.5 turns. I have not yet tested the FCS or attempted to start the car with the wire disconnected.

I also hand cranked the engine with the plugs off to make sure the SPICA belt is turning with the engine, and it is. I also disconnected the fuel line into the SPICA, and there is gasoline getting to it (also recall when I thought I fried the starter 😃 that I had a fuel leak in injector two which was resolved with tightening).

When the head was off, I had gently cleaned the injectors before installation--just a soak in fresh, clean gasoline and a wipe down, ensuring no tiny parts were disrupted or lost. Could they be clogged? My car didn't have most of the fuel injector line brackets but has all of them installed now. Could setting the lines correctly be causing an issue? Is it possible I have the brackets too tight and they're pinching off flow to the injectors?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
double check cam timing. set the crank to TDC and verify the cam lobes are pointing out, the cam marks are where you want them, and the dist is pointing to #1 wire. Recheck the dist / plug wires for correct order 1-3-4-2 going clockwise. Check SPICA timing. Retime the distributor using the F mark and a 12V light bulb , see the procedure. Try to start it again. If no go, loosen up the injector pipes and confirm fuel coming from all 4 under cranking. Its likely something simple and we have all done it. Does the Fuel Pressure light turn on-turn off fast when you go to start the motor? My last rebuild I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt start -- duh -- I forgot to connect the ground to the distrinbutor ,,,,

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
double check cam timing. set the crank to TDC and verify the cam lobes are pointing out, the cam marks are where you want them, and the dist is pointing to #1 wire. Recheck the dist / plug wires for correct order 1-3-4-2 going clockwise. Check SPICA timing. Retime the distributor using the F mark and a 12V light bulb , see the procedure. Try to start it again. If no go, loosen up the injector pipes and confirm fuel coming from all 4 under cranking. Its likely something simple and we have all done it. Does the Fuel Pressure light turn on-turn off fast when you go to start the motor? My last rebuild I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt start -- duh -- I forgot to connect the ground to the distrinbutor ,,,,
+1 goats. I would follow these steps

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
She starts!

Cam timing was dead on. I fixed one of the spade connections on the ignition coil and made the FCS half turn adjustment referenced in an earlier post. She tried to fire but wouldn’t grab — tweaked the distributor and she fired right up! Now I need to fine tune the timing with my gun and get the idle/air-fuel mix adjusted. Thanks, everyone for your input and help!

·
Premium Member
14,265 Posts
Glad that you dodged the bullet. We all screw up from time to time and we celebrate when we get lucky.

Reactions: goats

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Guess who won’t start today? Cranks and fires but won’t stay running. When she ran last night, it wasn’t great but she ran. I was also able to restart her repeatedly, something I was unable to do previously—which prompted the new TA purchase. Then I did the head gasket. I tweaked the distributor and it won’t stay running.

How does anyone interpret the fuel mix based on this spark plug? They all basically look the same. Is it too rich? Is running retarded? Is it getting too much fuel and not enough air?

I’ve also read on the BB that this dry plug could mean it’s too lean. I don’t want to chase my tail any more than I have knowing I had the engine running 24 hours ago. I don’t have anyone to help me tonight with my timing gun to get the distributor dialed in, but I know where TDC is on it.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
is this a new plug you installed recently? Looks pretty fat (rich) to me and maybe has some oil issues as well?

usually your symptoms might be fuel related

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
is this a new plug you installed recently? Looks pretty fat (rich) to me and maybe has some oil issues as well?

usually your symptoms might be fuel related
I put them in when I got the new TA/before I removed the head. They’ve never been “driven” and it was very clean before I started the car. They’re not wet, however.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Try a new set of plugs, they're cheap. I'm thinking your car won't start because your plugs are fouled. It's sure not helping anyway.

·
Registered
903 Posts
+ 1 to that. Happened to me a few times on these Alfas. They don't like idling while you're messing with ignition timing, etc Each time it happened to me, it was with a relatively new set of plugs. Yours look fouled. I know, I wouldn't believe it when it first happened to me.
I use NGK Iridium tipped plugs now, recommended to me by Alfaparticle. More expensive, but top-knotch.
Never happened again since.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts