Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I finally put the head back on my 74 Spider after the help getting a properly sized tensioner wedge. New gaskets. New throttle cable. Adjusted the throttle with the throttle tool. Replaced all the coolant hoses. New spark plugs. Timing should be dead on accurate, and the distributor should be **** near close to where it should be.

I attempt to start the car, engine turns over but doesn't fire. I don't hear it trying to fire, but I do hear the chain sliding against the engine because even with my new wedge, I guess I didn't have it tensioned enough 馃槂 When I look at at the engine, I notice that there's a little fuel coming out of the SPICA side of the second injector line. No big deal on any of it and I know what to check/tweak.

I removed the loose end of the injector, reset it, tightened it. All good. Try to start the car, it turns over but doesn't start. No fuel is leaking from the injector now.

Then, I take off the cam cover, make the small tensioner adjustment, everything is great. I didn't even have to go fishing for the tensioner wedge because the adjustment was flawless 馃槂

Next, I pull plug #1, tape it down so I can see if it's sparking, and go to start the car. It turns over, I see 2? sparks, and then the engine just totally stops turning over. Now it won't turn over at all and just makes a loud click by the starter.

I've been down this road before where the starter solenoid was stuck, so I take it out. It felt stuck to me as I removed it for whatever it's worth, but I got it moving fine/freely and put it back as it should be. Everything gets rewired (CSS rewire schematic). Go to start it, and it's doing the same thing. It won't turn over.

Thoughts? Other things to check before I overpay for shipping and order a new starter to get here tomorrow? I just knew this (&%&Q&*#!!!!) Italian beauty wasn't go to start after all the work I've done, and I'd end up having to fix something else 馃槂

Premium Member
86 Veloce
Make sure you have a healthy battery with at least 10.5 cranking volts. You may have to set the meter on the trunk and look back as you turn it over, needs to be at least 10.5 threshold for computers to wake up...

Reactions: Norseman50

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure you have a healthy battery with at least 10.5 cranking volts. You may have to set the meter on the trunk and look back as you turn it over, needs to be at least 10.5 threshold for computers to wake up...
The battery is 3 months old and was fully charged before I went down this path today. The PO had a smaller battery in it than it should have had (and cut down the long screws on the battery harness which I also just replaced) so this new one has more cranking amps.

Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
I would try tapping the starter with a hammer. Sometimes especially with older cars that take more cranking the brushes wear out and loose contact. Tapping the starter with a hammer can get the brushes to make contact and crank. If nothing then I would check and make sure the wiring is solid.

Registered
What you are describing sounds like low voltage or lack of a good ground. When I put the new battery in my car I tightened everything down and had a problem similar to yours. Turned out that the battery ground which looked perfectly fine and was replaced new when I got the car had come apart inside the wiring. It was still making a little contact (enough for light and stereo) but not enough to turn the car over.
Since you have had the motor apart my guess is lack of a good ground from the motor to the frame or lack of a good ground on the battery. As others have said check your battery voltage as well. Cranking the motor over will kill your battery eventually.
Ventura Alfa

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I am unable to turn the engine by hand. I am unable to push the car in 4th.

Premium Member
Good catch Bill. This is most likely associated with the work on the tensioner. The good news is that since the engine would not start then the valves may not be bent,

Registered
that loose chain you had when you heard it slapping on the aluminium didn't sound good when I first read that.

Can you spot any piston/valve contact with a small Maglight looking down each of the plug holes?

likely the chain jumped a tooth or two and now you have a piston jammed against an open valve.....don't try any more starting or pushing in gear.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
On quick glance down the plug holes, it does NOT appear that the valves are touching the pistons in cylinders 2 and 3. The pistons are down in 1 and 4. I can head back down there when I get the kids to bed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Also to clarify one item: when I was trying to start the car, there would be one solid click near the starter and it wouldn鈥檛 crank. It was not multiple clicking sounds.

Premium Member
86 Veloce
Engine sounds seized and Dom probably nailed it on the head, no pun intended for sure. I would pull the head without moving any thing and investigate any damage. If the cam timing is out there is surely some, hopefully just a bent valve I can think of nothing else that would seize the engine unless the bottom end let go. Possibly your chain separated somehow and it's all bunched up in the front cover preventing it from turning over....

Premium Member
Possibly your chain separated somehow and it's all bunched up in the front cover preventing it from turning over....
Keep your fingers crossed that it is the above.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled the cam cover. Chain was intact and super tight, so much so that it pushed the tensioner all the way back into its original position. Underneath the chain in one of the lower gears is a piece of a towel. Apparently there was a small white cloth clinging to the towel I used to prevent the tension wedge falling into the engine; however, it clearly got caught on some teeth and remained inside the engine when I removed the larger towel. Despite being super cautious, I still screwed up. I don鈥檛 know how I didn鈥檛 see it except for the fact it was way at the bottom.

I have no idea how I鈥檓 going to remove it because it鈥檚 pretty tightly wound in there. Is there a chemical that will dissolve a cotton rag but not harm metal? Half seriously, can I set it on fire, let it burn away and free the gear?

Premium Member
Great news so far! An explanation as well as a fix that might not involve replacing large amounts of metal. :) Keep us posted.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Good news: using a wire hanger, a small metal hook tool, a magnet tool for the chain, and the F word, I鈥檝e removed the piece of cloth from the chain and gears.

Bad news: a small piece of cloth that was wrapped under the gears and the small metal hook tool have fall into the sump.

I guess my next plan of attack is to get my wife to help me push the car onto ramps and remove the lower oil pan to retrieve the metal hook tool and piece of cloth
馃槂

1 - 20 of 39 Posts