Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am reinstalling my rebuilt starter today (86 Spider). There is one thing that has really bothered me... When I pulled the starter, there was a ground cable connected to the 12+ volt solenoid connection.

Is this correct? It seems really counterintuitive to me.

Here's an image of the starter in its current state:

Alfa Romeo Spider Starter by scarab02, on Flickr

thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ooh, watch out what you do ! The big fat cable that comes directly from the battery should only have contact to the M8 threaded rod (and the red cable that feed the fuse box). Its unfused, so if something goes wrong here, you may end up with lots af sparks or even a fire !!! Then there should be only 1 extra cable to the solenoid. There should be a ground wire strap to the body under one of the starter bolts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am definitely watching out ... the battery is completely disconnected at this point.

Morten - thanks for the clarification. I assumed (incorrectly, of course) that the black cable was an extra heavy ground - not a direct feed from the battery. So, I will reconnect all the wires as I found them.

Now, I have to figure out why I don't have a ground strap connected to one of the starter bolts. The car was operating just fine w/o the extra ground strap but I have ready many posts that a lack of this ground strap can be an issue.

·
Registered
255 Posts
People seems to forget them, but there should be one between the middle of the 3 starter bolts (the one with tight fit bolt - check if you have this - otherwise you risk breaking the bellhousing...) and the body. I have a picture, but on another computer :-(

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The braided ground strap does not go on any starter bolt on an S3.
It belongs on a stud under the starter motor and from there to the chassis.

EDIT:
Shown properly installed going from the stud near the upper crank position sensor.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darren - thanks for the image. After 20+ years of deferred maintenance (i have only owned the car for 18 months), it's amazing that the darn thing runs at all. :)

Looks like I need to make a run to my local NAPA to pick up a ground strap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts