Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 71 Alfa spider is back on the road and I'm down to the last few jobs. One of the problems is starting. It will start eventually from cold with a tiny bit of throttle/gas, but it probably doesn't help that the CSS and the Fuel cut off are both disconnected.

I tried running a wire from the starter to the CSS and if I try cranking for any more than a couple of seconds, the starter keeps on cranking regardless of whether the key is in the ignition or not. If I crank briefly it doesn't stick (but neither does the car start!)

Any ideas what am I doing wrong?

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
I tried running a wire from the starter to the CSS and if I try cranking for any more than a couple of seconds, the starter keeps on cranking regardless of whether the key is in the ignition or not. If I crank briefly it doesn't stick (but neither does the car start!)

Any ideas what am I doing wrong?
You aren't doing anything wrong. Many people claim that like perpetual motion, the phenomenon you are describing violates the laws of known physics. But I'm on your side - I have seen it too.

Do a little searching on the BB - this topic gets a lot of discussion. Here is one pertinent thread: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/230794-starter-woes.html

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,568 Posts
Yup, has happened to me. Just move the wire and all will be good. I did that mod last year and haven't had the issue since. Easy 15 min fix.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
there is conservation of energy, the piston/rod in the CSS drops as the oil bleeds off as the piston drops it move through the in the field of the coil wrapped around it, hence the current to the starter.

so there are several ways to fix it, the best is to isolate the ccs with a relay and a switch on the dash, that way when warm, you can start the car without the CSS being engaged, that lengthens the life of the motor, less gas means less wear the bores and bearings

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,568 Posts
You need to move the wire. Even with a CSS cutoff switch mine still stuck on. Moving the wire solved it .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts