Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to start up my 164 S after a period of idleness of about 4 months. Its being a real bear, and my mechanic recommended pulling all 6 plugs, pulling the fuel pump relay and disconnecting the coil and then spinning the engine a bit to pump all the bad stuff out and then installing new plugs.

I got the plugs out, pulled the fuel pump relay and disconnected the coil and was thinking that the rest would be easy. Wrong of course.

The starter spins but refuses to engage the starter. Battery is fully charged and tightly connected to battery leads. I even tried this with the trickle charger on "quick start" mode (50 amps charging current), but all the stupid starter does is spin. It is not even trying to engage the flywheel (no zing like you get when the flywheel has bad teeth and the starter can't engage).

If anyone has any ideas other than putting the car on a lift and pulling the starter (which by the way only has around 20k miles and is protected by the factory heat shield) I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Rex in Albany

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It sounds like the starter solenoid only engages partially - enough to cause the starter to spin but not enough to push the gear to the flywheel. One possibility is poor electrical contact at the small solenoid connector at the starter. You can try pull the connector out and in a couple of times to get a better contact. Another possibility is that something is kind of stuck. You can try hit the starter area with some thing hard a few times and see whether that helps.

One thing I would probably do if a V6 has been sitting for a long time (4 month ususally is not) is to manually turn the engine a couple of times while observing the timing belt and tensioner.

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Frap it with a hammer as bendix starter drive maybe stuck on shaft. If solenoid stuck it maybe harder to frap it with heat shield in the way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts